Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hey guys, I have some questions about my fermenter, it's warm. I went off the Heat Pad instructions not to use the heat pad in first 24 hours so I didn't well, just about a few hours earlier it was very cold so put it on. I also used pillow 3 with a bung cord around them around the fermenter. This morning it felt very warm so I turned heat pad off, at 4 when I got home checked it and it still warm, I have been told that the fermentation process will generate some heat, but not 100% on how accurate that will be so I am going to turn on heat pad tonight with no pillows it's a wet cold night so should be ok? the temp on the side is useless I think. I want to get a STC-1000 and hook that to the fermenter and heat pad, good idea? anyone have one for sale all ready to use? Thanks guys.

Daza.

Views: 1037

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is an easier circuit to follow.  (and the one I used)

Note that the green earth line goes to both the Cooler and the Heat Sockets ( Important)

Be careful and if you dont know what you are doing!!!!~ ...get a sparky to do it or check it.

Nice diagram, should be pretty easy to follow.....I hope! I will have a go and if any doubt consult you guys :-) Hey do I need to wire up a cooler socket if only using a heat pad? 

Nope but why not you will need it in the summer when you get a fridge to ferment in

Damn... were was that one when I was busy zapping myself.

So that's an easy to follow one then?

So that's an easy to follow one then?

It certainly is easy to follow  if you use the same ( correct color )wires.

True, silly question...but the fridge, is it one that works or is the fridge just an insulated box?

If it is one that works then you can heat and cool to maintain the perfect temperature. My original one just heated with an old thermostat and a light bulb but its so much better to be able to do both. I'm not sure why keeping beer warm enough seems to be given more priority because I would expect more problems from a fermentation that was too hot than one that was too cold.

I guess while fermenting too hot or too cold are as bad as each other? I will look for an old fridge that works when I have some more money, setting up for my system has cost me, even when getting good deals the money sure doesn't last for ever. haha

Sure is... too hot and you get nasty esters, foul smells, fruity tastes... and Wheat Beers... lol

... but if you go the fridge route you can controller the big #2 of brewing - Fermentation Temperature Control.  It just takes the 'hope it will be right' out of this step.

Plus you can then, when ready, look at tricky fermentation beers (lagers, wheaties, old ales).

In the next day or two I will post up my custom fermentation chamber that I have almost completed building.  Its been great fun and a challenge

Just need to compile the progress photos and write it up.

I have taken a different route to creating a temperature controlled chamber for fermentation and one that I could not find on the internet.

It will be needed as the warmer months approach in Auckland.

I'm already looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service