Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70872

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been looking at making this beer here:

Ginger Ale

Ingredients for Mashing

1.81kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 48.48 %
566g Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 15.15 %

60 min 42.5g Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops
60 min 1.36kg Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar
30 min 2.00 items Lemon Juice (per lemon) (Boil 30.0 min) Misc
30 min 170g Ginger Root (Boil 30.0 min) Misc
15 min 1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
10 min 56.6g Ginger Root (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
10 min 2.00 items Lemon Zest (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2 min 28.3g Williamette [5.50 %] (2 min) Hops

1 Pkgs Safale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Primary fermentation (14 days at 20C)
Secondary fermentation (7 days at 20C)

70.8g Ginger Root (Secondary 7.0 days) Misc

This doesn't look like enough malt or fermentable sugars for a normal beer though? I was thinking of using maybe 3kg of pale malt instead.

It looks like a low alcohol Ginger ale... but the 1.36Kg of Honey will knock that up alot, quick calc for a 20L brew would be 5% ABV... not too bad really.

Adding more malt will change the intended flavour and introduce more sweetness.... you could balance that with a touch more hop or lemon.

Thinking of brewing an American IPA looking for some advice on this recipe

5.5kg Golden Promise
.7kg caramalt
.45 pale crystal

60 mins 15gms Amarillo
15mins 10gms Amarillo 15gms Simcoe
10 mins 20gms Amarillo 20gms Simcoe
0mins. 20gms Simcoe10gms cascade

US S05 to ferment

Looking for some big floral notes so not sure what to dry hop with yet.

Really appreciate some help as this is my first recipe from scratch.

An NZ made American IPA I had recently used a touch of Aromatic malt which really seemed to added to the beers aroma. I have been meaning to try that since.

Your hop schedule looks pretty good. Considering how aromatic Amarillo is I would look to include that in the Dry hop... with the Simcoe or Cascade it should be amazing.

Thanks Grant , Dunedin Malthouse had no Amarillo so will have yo order from Wellington and brew another time!

For me personally it looks like you need to add a bit more hops in the 60min and 10min-flamout.

20gm @ 60 min

If you have more cascade then substitute your 60min bittering addition to cascade, Amarillo is better used later in the boil.

Double your flameout addition

and dry hop total 100grams over 14 days.

Amarillo simcoe and cascade is a fantastic combination

Thanks Jason! that's the same advice one of my brew buddies gave me as well.

So I'm wanting to do an IBA/Black IPA/Cascadian Dark Ale as my second AG brew.

I was wanting to do an all us hop combination, something like Amarillo and Simcoe.  But of course Amarillo isn't available (if you know where, let me know) so I need to substitute something else.

So I'm after advice on good US combinations for an IBA.  I'd like to use Simcoe and one other hop.  (Don't want too many different varieties of hops in there though).  Cheers.

anyone willing to share a good combo?

Hey Gareth,
These might help:
http://byo.com/stories/item/2013-birth-of-a-new-style-cascadian-dar...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-21st-amendment-...

I've only brewed this style once and I think I roughly followed the 21st ammendment recipe, cheers

Cheers Oliver, I found the other article yesterday, but that recipe in the second link looks good.  I might simplify their hopping schedule though, by swapping the warrior with columbus.  And I'll see what's available and simplify further if I can't get them all (or don't want too many part bags).

So how did your beer come out?

Sounds good to me. I overdid the carafa in mine (mash wasn't looking dark enough so I added some more), end result was too sweet and tangy. After a few months it settled down and tasted more on the PKB side of things, so not a complete loss :p. I'd recommend crushing the carafa seperately as fine as you can if you're after a black IPA, or cold steeping it even. Make sure it finishes dry too and has plenty of IBUs. Let us know how it goes :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service