Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mmmmm - all this discussion of easy quaffing NZ draught combined with the roaster of a day we've got up this way has got me thirsty.. Think I'll have to put another batch down.

Man that does like quite the quaffer! i think the Melanoiden would be a nice touch, tempted to  brew this up soon, maybe add 0.2kg carapils and removed the 0.2 maris otter. what crystal gets used?

I just used pale crystal - it's about 38L I think.

Not sure about adding more body to it with carapils. I was enjoying the lighter body in the hotter weather, especially with a higher carbonation. Each to their own though.

Using the melanoiden over a biscuit malt seemed to take a bit off the sweetness, which might or might not be desirable depending on what you were wanting to achieve.
Roaster of a day?
Just brewed a mild, more in keeping with crap Wellington weather . . . .
Bugger - I've been sweating like a pig these last few days up here in the tropics :)

OK, I had a week to think about it and I'm not going to reinvent the wheel here.

I do a pale that I really like, 1.034 and 30 IBU or there abouts
So I'm just going to bump the gravity up a bit and drop the IBU
Roughly 70% Pale, and 15% each Munich I and Caramalt for 1.036
Should be plenty of body in there, especially with a mash up in the high 60's
Then 10 IBU Super Alpha to bitter with a mix of 20% Sauvin, 50% Pacifica and 30% Motueka at 20 10 and 1 as usual for another 13 IBU
'05 to ferment at Wellington ambient garage temperatures which could be a wildcard at this time

Probably nothing like the original intention but the hot Hastings days have been replaced with the reality and lottery of Wellingtons summer!

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/bear-republic-hop-rod-rye-ale/8048/

I have been asked to reproduce this little number for a mate of mine and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on a recipe for it?  I dont do many ales and seem to cock up the dark malt bills quite a bit, never tried rye at all or whether you can buy it in NZ

From BYO magazine (US units sorry) 

http://www.beertools.com/library/recipe.php?view=12127

I have had this from Ham Wine company. That means places like Beer Store  err Cellar will have it from time to time also. 

Not sure about the rest of the country sorry.

Morning Liam.

Cryer Malts do sell rye malt, and http://www.brewshop.co.nz do stock it according to the website - $6 per KG.

As for the recipe, there was a recipe in the BYO magazine a few years ago. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Best of luck dude...

BYO September '04

Bear Republic Brewing Co. Hop Rod Rye clone
(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.072 FG = 1.017
IBU = 84 SRM = 17 ABV = 7.2%

Ingredients
8.75 lbs. (4.0 kg) 2-row pale malt
2.51bs. (1.1 kg) rye malt
1.25 lbs. (0.57 kg) flaked rye
1.15 lbs. (0.52 kg) Munich malt
0.625 lbs. (0 .28 kg) wheat malt
0.625 lbs. (0.28 kg) CaraPils malt
1.75 oz. (49 g) black malt
10.4 AAU Tomahawk hops (60 mins) (0.74 oz./21 g of 14% alpha acids)
4.73 AAU Centennial hops (30 mins) (0.43 oz./12 g of 11% alpha acids)
24.3 AAU Tomahawk hops (0 mins) (1.7 oz./49 g of 14% alpha acids)
0. 75 oz. (21 g) Amarillo hops (dry hop)
1.0 oz. (28 g) Centennial hops (dry hop)
1 tsp Irish moss (15 mins)
Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II) or White Labs WLP051 (California V) yeast (Isn't this the same as US-05?)

Mash in at 63 °C then ramp temperature to 67 °C for conversion. Mash out to 77 °C

Can't wait to place a few orders through you guys. How long until all is up and running?

Quite funny to see the shell of Liberty homebrewing being used on your site when the rest of your site looks more along the style of craftbrewing.co.nz.

I for one look forward to buying some stuff that I can't get through brewshop.

Cheers

Chris

Brilliant I will have a look then and get the card ready!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service