Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The other thought is to check out Randy Moshers book "Radical Brewing" if you can.  He's got some good advice on brewing with fruit and IIRC gets into how to use each type of fruit successfully. 

Hi. I'm looking for some advice on a brew day planned for the weekend. I have a grain bill consisting of
6.2kg Malteurop Pilsen
.3kg Carapils
.15kg Crystal

25L batch using BIAB methods

I'd like to use my stock of Sauvin and NZ Cascade, and aiming for 40 IBUs

My question is what would the best ratio of Cascade to Sauvin hops? And another question; how much aroma and flavour hops to add and at what times?

Any help appreciated.

To me that list of ingredients screams out Hoprocker?

I've scaled the recipe back to 21L and the malts are now:

5kg Malteurop Pilsen
.25kg Carapils
.15kg Crystal

How does this schedule sound?

Nelson Sauvin hops
  12.3%, Pellet20 grams
45 minutes (+45)

Cascade hops
  7.3%, Pellet30 grams
20 minutes (+70

)Nelson Sauvin hops
  12.3%, Pellet10 grams
20 minutes (+70)

Cascade hops
  7.3%, Pellet20 grams
0 minutes (+90)

Nelson Sauvin hops
  12.3%, Pellet20 grams
0 minutes (+90)

Recipe sounds good to me - I havent used Carapils though. Not sure exactly what the Carapils would add to the brew? I have made the following recipe 10 or so times and always get a good brew, it might help you as least as a comparison ...?  I crush my own grain, mash 90 mins, boil 90 mins. I dont BIAB . I agree with Chris above ends up tasting a lot like Hoprocker (or Hopsmacker that Limberg used to make in Hastings) I like to keep things pretty simple.

5 kg Pilsen

100 g Crystal

Safebrew 05 yeast

Green Bullet - 60g at start of boil

Savin 55g 20 mins to go

Cascade 50g at flame out

Dry hop 20g Cascade  (in fermenter)

I normally end up with about 25 litres ish to ferment, beer will be about 4.5 - 5%

Hi Steve. 

Thanks for the advice, that sounds very hoppy, are those quantities of hop pellets? Or cones?

The carapils doesn't do much for flavour but assists head and feel.

Cheers

I use hop pellets. Yes, it is hoppy but I like that - it isnt to much, in fact some other beers I have had are more hoppy. I just like the fruity aroma and taste.

I would be interested in seeing a pic of your setup. I brought my bits and pieces off a retired chap who was leaving the country so it has just developed. I am thinking of upgrading to something smarter and maybe larger to make best use of the 5 hours it takes me now to make 2 1/2 doz bottles. Was thinking about a Sabco Brewmaster - or maybe talk to Chris Banks about something. Another Chap in Napier here is keen on upgrading his system as well.

Why do you boil for 90?

90 minute boils with Pils malt help  make sure you get rid of DMS (canned corn smells).

Just what I do - I might try a shorter boil to see what happens. I understand that the finished product will have a longer shelf life with a longer boil. I would love to make my brew day shorter!

I don't bother with a 90min boil for Pilsner malt when I'm going to ferment with an ale yeast.  I've tried 60 and 90min boils when fermenting with US-05 and several belgian yeast strains and never noticed any DMS.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service