Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70876

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't suppose anyone has a copy of the Graham Wheeler book Brew Your Own British Real Ale (Camra) ? Specifically i am trying to find a copy of the Deuchars IPA clone recipe.

Thinking of doing something like this:

73% 3.8 kg G.P

19% 1 kg Carared

6%   300g crystal 60l

2%   100g melanoidin

20g  black malt (steeped)

40g cascade  60 mins

40g cascade  15 mins

40g simcoe    1 min

40g cascade or 30g cascade, 10g sauvin  dry

us 05

some what of a red a.p.a.....

is only 30 i.b.u

any suggestions whether there is too much crystal/cara??

Quick question:  Which is better - WY1084  Irish Ale or WY1318 London ale III for a Northern English Brown? 

I'm brewing a NEB for a mate who's a Yorkshireman.

True to his roots he's suggested using a yeast I already have rather than buying a new strain. 

Which would give the better finish and accentuate malt nuttiness? 

Any tips on getting the best from the strain in this style?

What an excellent chap. Indeed, a Yorkshireman is like a Scotsman with all of the generosity beaten out of him.

I can't comment on the yeast choice I'm afraid, never used either of them.

Classic - yep he's a good bloke and appreciates a beer - but with a mix of Yorkshire, Dutch and Scots blood between us we'll be cooking spuds in the boil and running the sparge water into the washing machine....

I can chime in to say that I've not managed a hint of nuttiness in the three beers I made with 1084, one of which is pretty brown. But I wasn't aiming for nutty, though. The malt character is good, but in a crispy way. Haven't used 1318.

That's all that I've managed with two 1084 brews so far too  - crispy roast/toast malt.  Both were femented under 18 degrees to reduce the fruitiness and produced what I was after in a dry stout and brown porter. 

I haven't used the 1318 yet and see Wyeast recommend it for a slightly sweeter Southern Brown.  I was thinking if I mashed a tad lower, pitch large and start the ferment off lowish ramping up to finish off well then I might just get the right profile.  Its all theory though so was wondering if it had any basis.

Used london Ale 3 and it was a bit of a sweet finish.

Thanks, yeah, I've heard that about this yeast. 

Excellent in some beers so I'm looking forward to testing the range of styles with the 1318 - particularly OBs and milds. 

From other forums it looks like 1318 comes in above 1084 as a recommneded Northern Brown yeast - but not in the same league as 1469 and 1028 etc (i.e. higher attenuating, crisper, more minerally yeasts). 

I'll give it a go and tweak other parameters to see if I can get it close to the Northern style.

I just ran a 25ltr Deuchars IPA-esque with 1318. As others have said it has a slightly sweet tinge to it. I kept the ferment short and warm (3 days at 20 degrees) with a start of 1038 finish 1009 bang on. Beer is as close to a Deuchasr as I have had so seems to have worked. I've got a 1084 i used for a bitter and it was very nutty and earthy. That's as far as I know sorry - both tasted firkin brilliant though !

Cheers - good raps for both sound promising. 

Nuttiness/Earthiness with 1084 - excellent.  What malts and hops did you use for your bitter?

Sorry for the delay had to and go and look it up.
3.6kg Maris
0.35kgcarabeige

22g fuggles and 22g EKG @90min
15g EKG @ 10min plus whirfloc
10g ekg and 10g chinook dry hop 7 days.
1.050 final 1.012 4.3%
Keg conditioned 10 days served at laundry temp. Delicious.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service