Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70877

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

His Choc Hazelnut Porter??

It's for a collaboration brew, I was told "Jamils Chocolate Porter" so if there is no other one  I'll be doing that one I guess.

Cool mate, well this one is from Brewing Classic Styles, also uses Hazelnut Extract though so not sure if its the particular one you're after. He also has a Vanilla one in here. Recipe attached below. Totally recommend this book!

Cheers Kelly.... Gonna try to christen my new brew rig this Saturday with it.

Nice :) What sort of new kit are you rocking?

23 tip mongolian burners (2nd spare one)

45L HLT (electric 3600w) that can go from Tap temp of 13-14 to 74 deg in 54min

50ss keg converted to a mash tun with perforated SS false bottom

2x 70L stainless kettles

2 copper coil chillers (runs from tap into first one sitting in an ice bath then to the 2nd in the kettle).

70L stainless conical fermenter and a couple of spare plastic jobs.

Had the rig set up like this for a month now but have not had time to brew.  :-(

Awesome man sounds good! Should post up some pictures :)

Can anyone please steer me to one or two award winning recipes.  I have two 30L pots with 1800 watt heaters (temperature controlled os can step mash) and a 35L fermenter.  Any two great beers etc, dont care what, as long as they are really great recipes/beer : )

Cheers in advance!

Ok, found lots, under Groups, recipe xchange...hee hee roll on brew day ; )

I want to brew a Northern English Brown Ale this weekend for the next Wellington Brewers Conference event but unfortunately the recipe I'm using has Special Roast which is not available at the LHBS. Apparently Bairds Brown Malt is a substitute but unfortnuately I missed the courier today to get it from Liberty who has this in stock.

The recipe is:

Maris Otter

Dark Crystal

Special Roast (or sub for Bairds Brown?)

Chocolate

Carapils

Goldings

Fuggles

British Ale Yeast

Can anyone recommend another substitute or does anyone in the Wellington region have 300g of Special Roast or Bairds Brown that I can pilfer?

Thanks!

I don't have any Brown and never used Special Roast, but I've used Brown in both Milds and Northern Browns and it's supurb for them both. It'd be excellent for the Northern.

Ok managed to get some Bairds Brown from Liberty so am going to brew this on the weekend:

25l, 23 IBU

Maris Otter 79%
Dark Crystal 8.8%
Bairds Brown 5.2%
Chocolate 4.4%
Carapils 2.6%

Goldings 60 min
Fuggles 15.0 min

I'm not 100% sure on the yeast. I'm thinking either British Ale 1098 or British Ale II 1335. However I do have some American Ale 1272 that I washed from a previous batch that I'd like to use. Does anyone think that this will work for a Northern English Brown or should I stick to the British Ale (and if so, 1098 or 1335)?

Thanks

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service