Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How about Super Alpha for bittering with Pacifica 1gm/litre at 20, 10, 0 & dry.  I think the dry hop is important if you really want the Marmalade to be noticeable.  

I'd leave out the NZ Goldings, but maybe consider NZ Styrian or Motueka for the oranginess.  Maybe a little sauvin for complexity and a little flavour zing like marmalade has?

Also, I'd go light on the caramel malts.  Maybe replace the caramalt with carapils and replace some of the base malt with Munich.  More of a bread/crust & marmalade combo.

Yeast?  I've never used Windsor but I think US-05 would be a good match.  Other than that, anything clean would work.

I'd leave out the NZ Goldings,

Oh Mr Cherry, don't tell me that, the one time I've had decent marmalade was with Goldings LOL

That's funny :)  Go with what you know if you've had it before.  

Only got the right result once Mr C, that's why I need some suggestions

I've been trying to get that elusive marmalade flavour as well (a la Fullers etc). My latest brew seems to have it in spades and it's a single hop Motueka lager, go figure. I'm not sure what combination of hops/esters etc gives that flavour, but goddam it's nice!

Bugger, after those two last posters, i might be in for a total rethink!

I just finished a glass of my Bitter hopped with mostly NZ Goldings and there was definitely no marmalade.  What hops did you blend when you got it in the past?

NZ Hallertau (lime), Motueka (orange) & NZ Cascade (grapefuit) maybe?

I used Goldings in an extract and grains a few years ago and loved it, marmalade from day one in the keg. Never been able to come close and sadly not near enough notes on the ingredients or fermetation .... I'm just going to have to live with the memory eh !

Sod the elusive orange marmalade, I'm doing a weemix pale on the weekend. Weemix hops - well Motueka in for the goldings - in a simple pale, 85% GP, 15% caramalt

1033 but I'm not sure if I can wash up my last windsor I saved last night, there's a bit of the dry hopping in there or if I'll have to use the '05 sachet from the fridge

Why don't you increase the late motueka hops and see if the marmalade presents itself while your at it.
Change of heart Mr Cherry completely Mr Cherry.
I decided to up the hops and do a 1033 Digital, otherwise known as Analogue Ale, partly as I don't have a digital thermometer

What that the Dortmunder Export  Mark? I think I might have a shot at that one

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service