Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

usually commonsense organics in the Hutt
Making your own munich aye? Cheaky bugger.

I've decided to work off the smash I did a year ago. I used Kolsch for that one so I'll probably look at about 10% carapils to give the pale the merest of boosts. I did consider wheat too but worried I may not have enough of a backbone to stand up to the sauvin.

Hopping will have a minimal early addition because there's going to be a couple of generous late ones from 20 min. IBU/SG is about 1.6 at the moment.
Making your own munich aye? Cheaky bugger.

Nah, just a thought, but I thought I'd put it out there to stimulate a bit of thought.
There was also the decotion idea and the idea of boiling down the first few litres of the first run off

gotta think outside the square sometimes - though I am going with the standard of 95% unadulterated malturop and 5% caramalt
I've played around with toasting Malteurop, the results seemed pretty good. I've only used one in a brew so far which is still in primary, but the flavours of the malts range from nutty through very toasty to strong coffee (they were all dry roasted).
Hey that's very interesting Mark
To be honest, I wasn't really serious about it, more opening up an idea - and throwing out a red herring out to Matthew and Chris
I had some instructions from the oz.craftbreer.org site - Graeme Sanders - but the site seems to have gone awol
When there wasn't such a good supply and variety of malts around, I did consider it. But knowing my ability to f*** things up quite easily, thought better of it
Did you use your malt fresh or let it rest or mellow ?
Theres no way im putting red herrings in it ! ;-)
you're right - style guide doesn't allow it

But you could server herrings on toast to accompany it ?
Let it mellow, it made a lot of difference to the flavour. Initially I thought the darkest attempt would be unusable as it was very harsh, but it tastes much better now, very reminiscent of instant coffee (not sure if that's a good thing!). I basically dumped a tray full in the oven at about 150C and pulled portions off every now and then. Apparently wet roasting induces more melanoidens aka munich, aromatic, melanoiden etc

I haven't used much of it yet, but have plans to do so, will keep you posted!

It stinks the house out too. I roasted until the complaints got too much!
I think the Kolsch had more guts than the malturop though ?

I've been looking at recent beers and notes and I'm wavering on the 5% cara, I think I'll use pale crystal and up it to more like 7.5% - maybe not so golden but as we didn't specify a colour range ...
OK, nearly sorted for Sunday - pale crystal is the additional malt of choice
I'm taking a punt with the hops here though.
Just rejiggered the first late hopped ale ratios
1.042 25 litre boil and the shonky excel file calculates 28IBU
5g @ 60
7g @ 20
7g @ 15
11g @10
11g @5
14g @ 0

But what do you reckon for a mash temp ?
66c?
The reason I say that is my Sauvin/Casacde pils has cleared and crisped up and is tasting awesome if I may say so!
And in my opinion the Sauvin works really well with the crispness.

Im sticking with my maltbill of Malteurop and Carapils - and thinking I will ferment mine low and slow with the SO5 with a little d-rest near the end perhaps
And how's the Schwartz conditioned up Chris ?

I'm at the lower end of the gravity range - but I think I have about the same balance as Matthew from what he said. Where's yours ?

Not sure if I'll go with the little pink sachet of '05 or a repitch from the current batch

Luckily I don't have the consideration of temperature control, ambient all the way and one less thing to work out !

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service