Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

This foray into kegging has been a huge success. I am so happy with this beer, and how it is nicely carbonated. This brings me to a new issue. I need sessionable beers, for risk of becoming even fatter.

Can you more experienced brewers share some of your more sessionable beer recipes? To date, my best beers have all been 5.6 or higher (Generally much higher.)

Views: 171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just use the same recipe but cut the base malt down to get the gravity you want.
I leave the specialties the same - but you may to cut that back too depending on your tastes.
Likewise with the hops as well, if you want to keep the same balance, cut them back.

Here's my "house bitter" - it's been through many revisions, but I like this one the best.

Saxbys Ordinary Bitter

OG: 1.040

FG: 1.012

Mash at: 68C for 1 hour

IBUs calculated using Tinseth - adjust sensibly based on your alpha and quantities etc.

90% Maris Otter

2.5% Pale Crystal (40ishL)

2.5% Dark Crystal (120ish L)

4% Torrefied Wheat

1% Special B (you can leave this out, it adds just a hint of raisiny character and some colour, if you drop it, drop back the base malt by a touch and up the C120 for colour... or add a little black malt... or just enjoy it pale)

21 IBU Target @ 60m (Guideline, 17g @ 10% AA)

3 IBU EKGs @ 10m (Guideline, 12g @ 5.6% AA)

15g Target, 15g Styrian Goldings, 10g EKG @ 3m

Yeast: WY1968 pitched using Mr Malty's calculator

Ferment at 18C rising naturally to 21C, diacetyl rest (REALLY important with 1968) at 22C.

Dry hop if you like with EKGs to your desired level, but I don't usually.

Carbonate to 1.8 atmospheres and serve on handpump. ;)

I like that recipe! I would brew it this weekend, but I have to go through some grain that I have sitting around. (it has been crushed for two weeks, so I am getting nervous about its quality) I have enough grain to come out as a 9.8 ABV IIPA, so, I will probably make it a double batch to make it sessionable as JT mentioned.

I think the beer after this will be the recipe you gave. Thanks!

One question. I never used torrified wheat. Is this what I hear people saying gives them stuck sparges quite often?

I've never had a stuck sparge with it. And at 4% I'd be pretty surprised! :) I use it for head retention and a slight (very subtle, to the point of undetectability) hint of tartness. Feel free to replace with malted wheat. Or leave it out entirely. Up to you. :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service