Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

http://mangrovejacks.com/collections/craft-series-yeasts

Anyone know anything about these yeasts? There's not a lot online about them yet, no real info on where they're sourced etc.

I managed to get hold of a packet of their US West Coast yeast and have made a pale ale with it (still in primary). My instincts tell me this would be the same strain as US-05/1056, but their website lists attenuation as high (definitely not US05!)

In any event, the whole range looks very promising.

Views: 17130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

more like this type of thing

I like to be able to read up on other peoples experiences of a yeast,  sure I take a lot of comments with a grain of salt, but as these are probably not "new" yeasts, it would be nice to know what they actually are....

Attachments:

Hi Peter

Thing is that these comparisons are all hearsay. The fact is no dry yeast is a straight substitute for a liquid yeast and vice versa, they are all different strainss, you can not just get a liquid strain and dry it, only things that are similar. 

Also the % of attenuation are also not particularly scientific. If you think about it mash temp, type of grain used, PH and a raft of other factors have a massive influence on the % attenuation so we just give you a guideline how how much they attenuate. 

Hope this helps or at explains them a bit more. I have been using them for nearly a year now and all I can say is that I am so happy with them that I am going to be using them in my Commercial Behemoth Brewing beers, and although working for Mangrove Jacks is my day job there is no way I would use these yeasts on 1000-2000L batches of beer if I was not extremely happy with the results I get with them. Ok off to Wellington now to drink good beer.

Cheers,

Andrew Childs

The Beer Man

Mangrove Jacks 

A lot of people in the US take the hearsay very seriously...  I like the M03 

Going to use it again and have an M44 to try soon as well.

Just saying that using a yeast blind vs a lot of opinion/comments does make me hesitant.

Here's my 2 cents Peter:

If you've got a 1 gallon growler, you could brew up an extra 4L and do a side by side between the yeasts that you're familiar with and something from the mangrove jacks range.

I was looking for a dry WLP002 substitute for doing dark milds, so I split a 20L batch between S-04 and MJ M03 (basically I just grabbed the lowest attenuating British yeast in the series). Although not a very scientific comparison, I was quite happy with how the M03 came out (needed some conditioning time but that was probably my dodgy brewing more than anything else :p). M03 is not an identical substitute for 002, they have noticeably different flavour profiles (neither worse nor better, just different), but M03 is the closest thing in dry yeasts for what I wanted to do.

The september BYO mag has a really good yeast chart, including all the mangrove jacks yeasts.

So yeh, best thing is to do small side by sides I reckon, good way to get to know the yeasts without committing a full batch (and you'll be able to compare the results with yeasts that you're familiar with, to give you an idea of any mashing/recipe changes you'd need to make). That said, I'd only change yeasts if there's a specific reason, I'm still using US-05 for my hoppy american beers simply cause I'm used to it and I'm happy with the results.

If you post your recipes, or what styles you want to brew I bet Andrew or other people could suggest which yeasts to try. Hope that helps :)

If the hearsay is based on experience then I'd absolutely want to hear it.

The Wyeast, Whitelabs , Lallemand, Fermentis discussions over the years have been very useful, especially  their comparisons with yeasts that I've used and know.

I'm sure you'd want the same discussion about MJ yeast too Andrew, there's nothing worse than not being talked about

Thanks everyone. Yes very happy to suggest yeasts for any style of beers you have. In fact we are going to have a big poster in homebrew stores for which yeast is appropriate for more than 50 styles of beer. Hopefully be very helpful for everyone :)

Put down a pale ale with m44. Had planned to use us-05 but my LHBS was out. Pitched two packs in ~45L at 1.052 which is slightly under pitching according to Mr. Malty. This yeast seemed to take ages to get started, I didn't really notice any activity for ~36 hours which is the slowest start I have ever had ( although I usually pitch at the correct rate ;) ). It bubbled a couple days and then stopped which got me very worried. Usually I have yeast coming out the blow-off tube, and this batch I had the fermenter fuller than usual, yet hardly any krausen occurred and it seemed to hardly do a thing. After a week I thought I better take a gravity, being sure it was stuck. The reality is that it has finished at 1.008, well under the intended 1.012. Definitely a sneaky fermenter. 

I had a similar experience to this with M44. OG was 1.056 1 packet in 22L batch and no real activity for about 36 hours then bubbled well for 3 days. My beer finished at 1.005 FG attenuation worked out to be about 92% I think it was. What initially was going to be a 5.5% ABV is now 6.9% in the bottle.

I had the same attenuation results with M44 except I didn't get the long lag time. It just kept marching sedately along until it finally finished, a couple of points below the target FG.

I'll probably stick with S05 now unless I've got a really big beer and no starter - in which case the ability of M44 to attenuate as a dry yeast makes it a perfect match.

I find the taste is not quite as neutral as S05 too - it's got a slightly vinous taste which can tend to over emphasize the alcoholic nature of those bigger beers.

I love us05 / house yeast ....    but in a bottle condition you  have to pour into a jug, in in keg cold crash and really try to avoid pickup.. Its clean as long as you don't stir up the yeast, if you do I just taste flour...  I also like 1084 for how bright it goes and alos if you use a yeat like 1768 youngs esb type yeast then add us-5 at the end the floc prop of us05 seems to pull out the us05

I have to say by arrogant barstard clone m44 is better then the 1084...  why cleaner at higher temp?

I've just used Burton Union in a Scottish beer. It's 4 days in krausen has dropped and it's only Gina from 1057-1024 no more bubbles. If this is as far as it's gotten that's pretty disappointing. Fingers crossed for at least 3-4 more points. I've ramped to 22 and swirling I get some traction.

What was your mash temp Rob? I had similar experience with burton union in my oatmeal stout: 1.067 - 1.027, ended up top cropping some US-05 from another fermenter to drop it down to 1.022. I think M07 might be the highest attenuator?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service