Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

http://mangrovejacks.com/collections/craft-series-yeasts

Anyone know anything about these yeasts? There's not a lot online about them yet, no real info on where they're sourced etc.

I managed to get hold of a packet of their US West Coast yeast and have made a pale ale with it (still in primary). My instincts tell me this would be the same strain as US-05/1056, but their website lists attenuation as high (definitely not US05!)

In any event, the whole range looks very promising.

Views: 17130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

BRY has munch better flocculation.  Nice clear beer and a hard caking sediment similar to the Nottingham yeast.

It is a universal yeast, very clean low ester yeast. Can be used in place of a lager yeast at 18 degrees and a clean fermenting ale yeast in the around the 23-26degree range but will ferment happily upto 32 degrees. Good for our friends across the ditch 

We currently have two identical mash brews going side by side at Brewers Coop.....BRY-97 v the new M44.

So far the BRY-97 has started faster, while the m44 appear to be about 6 hours behind.  I'll post the results once we've finished.  Bryan

Very keen to hear of your results Bryan,  I am drinking a Citra IPA   I did with BRY-97,   Best way I can explain, is that it feels its stripped out some bitterness and the taste is smooth rather then the bitter I was hoping for.   I did a very similar us-05 that will be ready to open soon, will post thoughts.

Thats consistent with American Blogs. Because it flocculates so well it does appear to strip a little hop bitterness, meaning you may have to adjust your bittering hop additions.

Hi Bryan. How did the M44 and BRY-97 yeasts compare in the bottle?

I am just taking the M44 for a ferment in a IPA, pitched at the same time as US-05 in second fermenter on an ALT I did, the M44 is really slow to start compared to US-05 but once she's underway it rips into it doesn't krausen as much as the US-05 either which means I can fit more wort in the carboy with out the risk of it running out the airlock, the M44 is working on a higher gravity brew so will be interesting to see how long it takes to ferment out

Krausen update, day three overnight the krausen went mad, now I have it coming out the airlock and I have a nice sticky mess over my brewing bench,

The brewing rates, krausen and sediment were near identical between the MJ West Coast American Ale and the Danstar BRY97 West Coast American Ale. The MJ finished marginally sweeter but character of the two yeast is nearly identical........I personally prefer the Danstar BRY97 as it appeared to floculate slightly better, but would happily use the Mangrove Jacks as a second choice.

Just picked up a brochure on this yeast series from LHBS, the details and observations are outstanding. Pity we can't know the yeast origins, suppose we'll just have to speculate.

Can you post a copy?

yeh, it is a real shame they wont let us know what the strains are. I like brewing with yeasts that I know exactly what they are likely to do before I chuck them at a hundred dollars worth of ingredients... and I like the convenience of dried yeast... but I probably wont buy these until there is at least some idea of what the strains are and how the strains are behaving in the brews.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service