Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

A couple of friends and I have been talking about how it would be interesting to see how good a beer people can come up with in the 3% range. We've decided to give it a go and invite any of you who might be interested to try your hand at it and bring it along so we can all try it out. No formal judging is planned at this stage, just crowd-sourced honest opinions.

• No particular style just so long as it's under 4%
  • Bring a plate of nibbles. Extra nice nibbles if you're only coming to taste
  • Saturday June 11th from midday
  • 34a Potter Avenue, Northcote on Auckland's snazzy North Shore
  • 021 55 09 58 if you get lost
  • RSVP here

Views: 677

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

:)

Actually looking forward to tasting the ordinary bitters you've got on the go. Store them in a cold fridge and they should be fine in eight weeks' time.

Roger that. Just dumped a bunch of dry hops into the fermenter for my pale bitter :)

Brewed my entry last night, 1.035 in the fermenter. 

Malt bill similar to a Scottish 70/-, hopped with Styrian Goldings so it is out of style (0.9 OG:BU ratio), and then S05 yeast. Probably will dry hop with more Goldings. I have no idea if this will work or not, but it will be fun! Hydro sample tasted good.

Yup, brewed mine at the weekend. As mentioned in the What Are You Brewing thread my hydrometer broke id-brew, but I think it's about 1.035. Hoppy as a mutha!

I brewed a dark gingered ale (inspired by a Papazian recipe I tried when I was starting out with extract) in the weekend using my new false bottom/manifold. It turns out that the new FB is a couple of points more efficient than my old copper tubing and I came in at a sailing-rather-close-to-the-wind 1.039. It'll be fine if it finishes at 1.010 and I'm crossing my fingers and toes that the ginger will in some way retard the attenuation.

I've got an old 3.8% lager that I tasted the other day and I have to say it's not a winner. Chalky.

Also got a couple of OBs, one of them is a little on the harsh side but the other I'm pleased with. Both got good aroma.

Really looking forward to tasting all these Limbo beers!

I have 2 entries.

Civil Libertarian - an ordinary bitter with solely Liberty hops,

And, Simpleton - an American mild. My "May is the month of mild" mild. Maris otter, crystal, amber, pale chocolate, with a far whack of Simcoe and copious dry hopping.

Both with 1469.

Feeling much better about these than my WBC stout. Maybe this is my range...

My Littlebig mini-red-IPA-thing (there is no style that fits this monster) is holding up remarkably well in the bottle after 6 months or so, although it's definitely peaked. A lot of the hop character has faded but it's still a reasonably pleasant drop, if a touch over carbed. 3%, 1.041 down to 1.018, 15.8SRM colour, a calculated 77IBU and a whopping 55% of the grain bill as crystal malts :)
My Littlest Beauty is in the keg at 3.6% so we're all on. Crossing my fingers that the haze will clear up this week, but it's tasting better than I expected. Looking forward to doing some serious swilling!

Hey Damian,

Unfortunately not going to make it to this one as I've got wayyy too much work on at the moment. And despite all the other love and care I put into it, I fermented my ordinary bitter too high (~21degC) and it's crap - it just tastes like S04. I haven't had time to make anything since.

Have fun guys (and girls)

That's a shame James. If work eases on the day feel free to turn up with a plate anyway and help judge.
I have a 3.8% pale ale that I should send up a bottle of for this.
Absolutely! 34a Potter Avenue, Northcote 0627, North Shore City (or is it just Auckland these days?).

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service