Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I noticed the other day that pretty much every NZ IPA - ones with NZ hops not yank hops made in NZ - I know of has more or less the same hop flavor very citrusy (usually from motueka or rewaka) with a good portion of Nelson Sav. And the good ones at least IMO have about the same malt taste, lots of caramel/toffee. Digital IPA (my favorite and probably the beer that set the trend ) and Black Dogs kiwi unleashed fit this description pretty well, Hop wired less malty, Chur less malty again but still all very similar on the hops and there's a bunch of others that are similar.

Don't get me wrong I really like some of these beers but I'm thinking there has to be more than 1 way to skin that cat.

So I'm interested in

1. any suggestions for recommended drinking
  2. or any great home brew recipies

for beers that NZ IPAs that differ from that formula

Views: 1194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Could use Motueka, tends to be pretty ok in a pils style beer.

As in the Hop Rocker (thanks Cain, forgot that one) and Little Creatures styles, I reckon the NS/Cascade combo is best in smaller styles - the combo is pretty fruity and the NS quickly overpowers.  I'd use it in bigger styles if you can emphasize the more bitter/sour 'grapefruity' characteristic of the NS with the Cascade riding over the top with its Turkish Delight overtones.

Mark - I reckon a a Pilsener with this combo could be awesome but the sweet spot would be quite a subtle profile, at least in the flavouring. So, I'd target whatever bittering IBU's you are after (prob using the NS as Richard suggested above), a somewhat subtle flavouring addition and perhaps relying on aroma additions to define the flavour impression instead - I love those lighter beers where you can't tell whether the flavour comes from your tongue or your nose. First tasted beers like this in one of Jo Wood's early West Coast Blonde's.

Cain - I tried the US and NZ cascade in some very early separate brews for Epic Pale Ale - at those concentrations, the NZ Cascade was definitely more peppery and rough than the US variety.  The NZ Cascade will be OK as a more subtle addition though, I think.

My 2c worth...

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service