Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I find that this press release for Export 33 raises more questions than it answers
http://www.realbeer.co.nz/alefiles/local_news/article_2008_11_18_29...

"Called Export 33, the latest brew is brewed 33% longer (hence the name) than standard beer to remove unwanted sugars and reduce the beer’s level of carbohydrates - without compromising taste."

Which part of the brewing process took 33% longer?
- in the brewery? mash tun? kettle?
- in fermentation?
- in conditioning?

What are the unwanted sugars?

So not compromising the flavour means it tastes the same as regular Export?

Export 33 brand manager Dave Shoemack says the beer was developed to meet growing consumer demand - especially among New Zealand males who are increasingly conscious of the way they look and feel.

NZ males are you conscious about the way you look and feel?

if so does this effect your beer purchasing decisions?

if you don't look or feel good will that mean you will buy Export 33?

“New Zealand men love their beer – but increasingly aren’t so fond of beer bellies,” Shoemack says.

Don't beer belly's come from lack of exercise and poor diet? I'm sure there is an article out there

“The feedback from beer drinkers is that they are thinking more about what they put in their bodies but they still want great tasting beer. Export 33 is full strength, full flavour and low carb so guys can enjoy beer that is less filling without a taste trade-off – it’s a beer for modern lifestyles.

Full strength? how is this defined? Alcohol? 4.6%?
Full flavour? again definition please, as I have tasted Export 33.
Less filling? again looking for what this means. Does it mean that is fits into a small space?
Modern lifestyle? is that sedentary?

“Low carb beer has taken over America and is the fastest growing beer category in Australia. Guys don’t want to worry about how a beer might affect the way they look, so we’ve done all the work for them,” says Shoemack.

The fastest growing beer category in America is craft beer?

Brewers the world over are embracing the ‘healthy beer’ philosophy – half the volume of beer sold in the US is low carb or low alcohol.

Is 'healthy beer' philosophy another term for keeping the shareholders happy?

Help. I'd love to get some of these questions answered.

P.S. why is it in a green bottle? Export is in a brown bottle right?

Views: 4227

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Blindhammer used to be the entry point product for a lot of drunkeness before we became so sophisticated
I'm sure that a few people will have had their Blindhammer moments - even if they'd rather not admit to it

At a guess, it's the Tui / Export / Lion Red of the wine world, which is where a lot of people still live
Not so sure JT. I'm not a wine drinker at all, but my guess is it's become less socially acceptable to bring wine in a cask to a dinner party. A 36 pack of Lion Red probably isn't either, but a box of tui or export sure is. Why? because wine has created a certain prestige for itself. Beer is just beer. Most beer drinkers couldn't give a shit about connoisseur-ness - in fact they are mostly totally unaware of such a concept in regards to beer. The closest you will get is people taking Heineken out to parties, whilst drinking Lion Red at home - they know full well society will frown so they take their A game. And that's merely the power of branding, taste has nothing to do with it.
Wine however demands a little knowledge and not in a bad way. Even at the very least if that translates to red wine for red meat, white for chicken or seafood.
I haven't tried it, but I think we need some perspective here - while we don't think of Lion Red etc as worthwhile drinking, there are plenty of people who do, and who genuinely enjoy it. If there wasn't demand for the product, it wouldn't be produced (ignoring the demand breweries create for the product through their marketing). If someone's happy drinking crappy beer, leave them to it - that just leaves more of the good stuff for those of us who enjoy it!

Same argument goes for cask wine, McDonalds, crappy petrol station pies etc. There will always be a market for cheap, mass-produced stuff because there will always be people who don't know any better.
"that just leaves more of the good stuff for those of us who enjoy it!" this is a very dangerous statement. many small businesses making some of the best products ever go out of business because they don't get to that point where they can get ahead, all because they didn't have enough people buying what they made.

Saddest most recent example Limburg Brewing Company. Need I say more.

And this is in a world where you can buy budget beer everywhere
I'd advise you to hold fire until you've tasted it. It's THAT bad
i guess my point was we need more people being educated about good beer, so there is more good beer to drink for all of us.
Sorry mate, I was replying to Bambule. I think you're dead right.
We could start by petitioning government to make the production of crap beer criminal. Bit to radical? Perhaps not on the top of Mr Key's agenda at the moment
Its a cultural awareness thing in my opinion. I'm sure Lion/ DB wouldn't last to long producing the beer they do here in, say, Germany? Or the Belgium for that matter. Things take time, but at least we have the option to choose. With a bit of education and advocacy drinking good beer will become the rule as opposed to the exception. However for the time being, I live in the country and I'm routinely ridiculed for my taste in beer. Can't see 33 making much of a dent here where Tui is clung to like a badge of maleness and conformity. Safe, cheap and almost potable.
There's plenty of crap beer in both Germany and Belgium. Belgium is home of the largest beer producer in the world - InBev, need I say more?
I take your point, nowhere's immune. However, I think the gap is less cavernous in those countries then here. I doubt 33 et al. would stack up that well against any of the generic largers pumped out in Germany/Belgium for instance. Stella Artois (an InBev beer I think) in Belgium is ok, not much character but quite drinkable. For the NZ brewed Stella I wouldn't be so kind. Standards are higher perhaps, but who knows. I'm not from there so ...
That's as may be, but the worst you'll find in Belgium is Jupiler, which is simply bland. InBev have a higher base standard than LN or DB. Maybe not anymore now they've bought AB! I didn't see anything as awful as Lion Red. I'm (un)happy to be corrected, but that was my experience. Germany ditto. They take pride in even the bland beers. The locals drink local beer from local breweries. The worst of it is just bland, but still fresh and quenching.
Hrm, threading in this forum is a bit bung. My reply was to Barry.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service