Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Can we get Conan yeast in NZ. If so whats it calling its self.

Views: 2027

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've us

Have any of you guys used WLP051 or WY1272 warm im thinking about it again after reading this from Richard Norgrove of Bear Republic Brewing

“If you ferment California Ale V at 66–68°F [19–20°C], say, it’s not going to throw tremendous esters. But raise it to 72–74°F [22–24°C], and that same yeast can throw bubblegum and Juicy Fruit character into the beer, giving a round sweetness that complements the hops profile.”

Personally I don't like the sound of that....

That bubblegum flavour is wrong on so many levels. when you try things like Heady topper, they're cleanly fermented, with the esters coming from an appropriate yeast. the sweetness coems from a slightly lower attenuation.

If you stick with a suitable yeast, you'll get the effect your lookingfor.

WY1318 is still your best bet IMO.

numerous East coast Brweweries are using this.

Hill Farmstead, Tired Hands, Trillium.

the juicy fruit character they are talking about is juicy fruit chewing gum. and to me thats not right for what your trying to do.

051, can throw some esters, which is fine on its own.

Your probably right and WY1318 is leading the pack, really just got to get my head around not being able to produce clear beer.

Although I will have to keep a look out for a can of racer 5. He hints that thats where the V in California Ale V comes from. I'm pretty sure I've had it and liked it but wouldn't have looking for yeast characteristics. When Epic use WY1272 I'm guessing they keep the temp pretty low.

Gelatin is your friend

Looks like I will have to raise my fermentation temps a bit what ever I go with. I've been starting at 17c for 2 or 3 days then bumping up to 18c for a few then 19c or 20c to finish. What temperatures do you recon of WY1318 in an IPA to get an appropriate level of ester production.

Too cold/clean and I may as well be using something easier to work with like 1272 or 90 and produce something clear and brite but I don't want an ester bomb either.

I went with 19 for 3 days, then up to 21 from there. 1318 is pretty quick, but the krausen sticks around like nobodies business.

I've got a different result with 1318 regarding speed.

In fact, the first 3 days the attenuation was pretty good, dropping around 20 points but after that it went really slow for around 10 days until fermentation was complete finishing at 1010.

My temp was pretty similar, kept at 19 for 2 days than up to 21.

OG was 1060 

I tend to give me a small rouse when i ramp up the temp, to make sure it doesn't get too tired.

british yeast have done it to me in the past. 

Cool, will try next time

Cool, dont do it too late, around day 2/3 makes sure its still in suspension.

most suggest its not needed, and with the co2 in the headspace its pretty safe.

Anyone got an idea of the yeast in garage projects party and bullshit. I got a can coming in the mail and may try to reculture.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service