Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

We are all organised and confirmed for Sunday 25th July from 2pm - 4pm with our host's being Darryl and Colin @ West Coast Bar and Grill in Papanui.

Style is American Amber Ale thanks to Tom.

Aroma: Low to moderate hop aroma from dry hopping or late kettle additions of
American hop varieties. A citrusy hop character is common, but not
required. Moderately low to moderately high maltiness balances and
sometimes masks the hop presentation, and usually shows a moderate
caramel character. Esters vary from moderate to none. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Amber to coppery brown in color. Moderately large off-white head with
good retention. Generally quite clear, although dry-hopped versions may
be slightly hazy.

Flavor: Moderate to high hop flavor from American hop varieties, which often but
not always has a citrusy quality. Malt flavors are moderate to strong,
and usually show an initial malty sweetness followed by a moderate
caramel flavor (and sometimes other character malts in lesser amounts).
Malt and hop bitterness are usually balanced and mutually supportive.
Fruity esters can be moderate to none. Caramel sweetness and hop
flavor/bitterness can linger somewhat into the medium to full finish.
No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. Carbonation moderate to high. Overall
smooth finish without astringency often associated with high hopping
rates. Stronger versions may have a slight alcohol warmth.

Overall Impression: Like an American pale ale with more body, more caramel richness, and a
balance more towards malt than hops (although hop rates can be
significant).

Comments: Can overlap in color with American pale ales. However, American amber
ales differ from American pale ales not only by being usually darker in
color, but also by having more caramel flavor, more body, and usually
being balanced more evenly between malt and bitterness. Should not have
a strong chocolate or roast character that might suggest an American
brown ale (although small amounts are OK).

History: Known simply as Red Ales in some regions, these beers were popularized
in the hop-loving Northern California and the Pacific Northwest areas
before spreading nationwide.

Ingredients: Pale ale malt, typically American two-row. Medium to dark crystal
malts. May also contain specialty grains which add additional character
and uniqueness. American hops, often with citrusy flavors, are common
but others may also be used. Water can vary in sulfate and carbonate
content.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.045 – 1.060
IBUs: 25 – 40 FG: 1.010 – 1.015
SRM: 10 – 17 ABV: 4.5 – 6.2%

Commercial Examples: North Coast Red Seal Ale, Tregs HopBack Amber Ale, Deschutes Cinder
Cone Red, Pyramid Broken Rake, St. Rogue Red Ale, Anderson Valley Boont
Amber Ale, Lagunitas Censored Ale, Avery Redpoint Ale, McNeill's
Firehouse Amber Ale, Mendocino Red Tail Ale, Bell's Amber

Good luck, see you there!

Views: 119

Replies to This Discussion

Yep sorry forgot to advise of who the judges are:

Darryl & Colin (West Coast Brewing, and WCB&G)
Craig Bowen (Beer NZ)
Nathan Crabbe (crabbey)

It's a blind judging so all those bribes you used up Ally may have been in vain! :)
Well - I cracked the first one last night and the result........ I'm not that optimistic this time round. Its nice and quite drinkable, but a little rough around the edges. It should have been in the bottle a few weeks more, but its as it is now. However it will develop some more so I can look forward to seeing how that taste changes over time! See you all Sunday and good luck!
Yeah looking forward to this, will be able to put some faces to names. See you guys Sunday!!!
Well 24 hours to go before the next CBC starts, and whilst it seems everyone is a little under whelmed with their beers I believe I have a secret weapon which will debut tomorrow.

After painstakingly preparing for this CBC I have unearthed what some (me at least) say will become a legend, that one beer that you will tell your children, and your children's children about as you tinker away in your personal man cave (or borrowing your wife's kitchen) brewery attempting to recreate. Your every waking thought will be overcome with a need to trial many recipes, changing malts and hops bit by bit and measure by measure, only to feel emasculated by failure after failure.

If you believe you can stand up to this challenge I dare you, don't miss this CBC, or else you could miss the future.....
Ok, so you've bribed the judges.....tut tut..
Hey if I don't have a chance from my dodgy brewing techniques I have to make that chance by bribing them... even with lavish gifts, I'm still likely to come last, or that may be my plan.....! :(
Hey James, where did you get the Fat Tyre from for the re-bottling? I've been looking everywhere for it after your brilliant suggestion, but ended up brewing my own in the end. Oops, said too much.....
What do you mean where did I get it?? You gave me that as you thought the Firehouse would be a sure winner!!! :p
The judge that has tried my beer will spot its flaws even as part of a blind tasting so there's no hope.

I love how we're all trying to claim underdog status here but i should warn you gents; i have brewed a truly shite beer. It might not be last and it might not even be properly carbonated, but it certainly won't win
Hey thanks for organising the CBC James and Ally! Thanks to our judges and our hosts too!

It was an enjoyable afternoon, and it was good to see Dale there from Nelson - that is, until he took out 1st place (again!!!) with one of his entries, as well as last spot with his other, taking the honours and the prizes at both end of the spectrum.

Also worth a mention: James for his original idea of blending American Amber Ale with Pilsner at differing concentrations for his two entries (one way to get his much sought after Pilsner competition I suppose!), Dave for his labelling, and especially Nathan for chickening out altogether!

The discussion of ideas for the next comp sounded interesting.......
That reminds me, I need to buy some bottles....

Thanks for fronting up as a judge though, your knowledge was wisely used!
No brewer should ever let a substandard beer out their brewery door

umm,,,,,, now i feel guilty about everything I've shared with anyone. Thanks mate!!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service