Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Couldn't make it. How was it?

Views: 712

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm always surprised when people complain about admission prices to beer festivals because they don't perceive the value when they "get nothing" for it. My suggestion would be to try running one! ;) Even if we left out the ridiculous amounts of regulatory compliance involved, venue hire, portaloos, crowd control, advertising, signage, stands, printing costs... MAN does it all add up! People don't generally do these things to lose money either, so there has to be some profit. SOBA fests will generally be cheaper as we're a non-profit, but then we don't have the economies of scale or the business connections either!

TL;DR version: it costs an assload to put on festivals, and it's unreasonable to expect people to not make money on them.

Sorry if I sound grumpy, I'm not, I just think people are always very quick to complain about the price of things without necessarily thinking about how much goes into making them happen.

Thats a fair point... and gives me a perspective I was lacking. 

As I stated before I did enjoy myself there... I'm just not sure there was enough to draw me back again next year if the entry price was $40. I could have just as easily taken that admission price and visited Galbraiths, Hallertau, or Britomart and been just as happy as what I recieved was essentially beer and food. 

My view is obviously slanted... but I still feel there wasn't much of a focus on the craft brew side of things, and no knowledge sharing or culture building. I'm not saying that BeerFest organizers should provide those things as I think the focus of the event is obviously a little different... I'm saying I would have liked to have seen it because I think its important for the industry to grow. 

Stepping off soapbox now... heading to work! 

Excellent, let's cancel all beer festivals that just provide beer & food, that'll save us a whole lot of trouble.

I think you missed my point Martin... but I'm not sure if I can be bothered to try and explain it to you. 

I didn't get to Beerfest, but did go to the Great Kiwi Beer Festival down here in Chch which had a higher turnout I think(?).
For what it's worth: I think at some point you just have to pony up the admission price and have a good time. Whilst it may seem a bit pricey and not craft enough for your tastes, you're making future events (that may be more in line with what you like) viable by turning up. You're also signalling to contributors and sponsors that there's a concrete demand for this kind of thing.

It's really easy to forget that even a few short years ago the idea of a NZ beer festival with a craft emphasis was pretty far-fetched, and it was just great watching people at the Chch Fest drift away from the security of the Monteiths tent to try something better.

Exactly, Dougal. 

Well admission price certainly wasn't a problem, we got early bird tickets for $15 :-)

A well noted point... 

I think maybe my thoughts on the matter may be off topic... or deserving of a different thread topic. 

I certainly do agree that its a good idea to support these endeavours.  

Looking back, I am starting to think this event is Historic for Auckland.

The Cloud and that part of the wharf reclaimed.

Good NZ owned brewers competing with fizzpoos Brands TM and kicking ass/floor wiping them.

Massive, good natured crowd, drinking beer all arvo,fairly maturely (for kiwis).

Heaps of beer appreciation/education going on, even though it was informal with no notes or beer geek secret handshakes.

And,I did not rain,

all day.

*Like*

Just a little further feedback on this. I have a friend of 25+ years that I caught up with at the beerfest. He is a Detective Sergeant based in Auckland and told me he left the beerfest at around 4:30mp because by then he could already see unruly behaviour outside. Handbags at 30 paces was the term he used and being in the business he is in his tolerance for that is low. He bailed and took his lady to a wine bar in town instead.

It may have at least expanded his beer horizons however, as he seem quite excited about the Hoprocker he had subsequently tried.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service