Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hello,

I seem to be having a few problems with my extract brews. I try to brew IPA/APAs using various combinations of hopped, unhopped and DME. Regardless of the extract combination and hop combination I use, my beer always tastes the same.

I follow the process described by John Palmer, boiling the extract (both hopped and unhopped variations) and add my bittering hops early and aroma hops late, I transfer to the fermenter, leave for the recommended time (sometimes a little bit longer) and then bottle when the SG has remained constant for 24-48 hours. To add to the pain of my beers tasting similar, the carbonation is non-existent. I add a tsp of dextrose to each 750ml bottle and it doesn't seem to affect it at all. 

One cause of the taste remaining the same could be that I pour the entire contents (hops and all) from my boiling kettle into the fermenter. From what I've read, this seems normal. 

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I'm going wrong with my batches tasting the same and also the lack of carbonation? 

Thanks

Views: 476

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ok look at replacing bottle caps?   I like glass more then pet personally...

get a couple doz glass bottles and a capper  get these type

http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/lifestyle/home-brewing/brewing...

Yeah, I was going to try that next. My PET bottles are getting a bit soft.

HOW LONG ARE YOU WAITING BEFORE CARBONATION CHECKS?

It has been just over two weeks in the bottle. Too soon?

some yeasts seem to act quicker then others very temp dependant as well,  1272 will seemingly carb up in 2 weeks at 14C but us05 wants longer and higher temp...  what yeast are you using? ok just reread MJ...   what temp you leaving carb bottles at , if i needed to drink them at 2 weeks I would be holding them at 18-20C

if you are doing this and adding 4-5g sugar the issue is bottles not holding pressure...  I would invest in a capper and some abc crates

I'm using Mangrove Jacks West Coast Yeast M44 for this one. I'm leaving them uncontrolled in my basement, which isn't too cold. Probably around the 18-20 degree mark.. I've only recently turned on the fridge that they are stored in so they are a lot cooler than that now.

I don't need to drink them now - I just wanted to see how one was going. Would you recommend leaving them for a little longer in the 18-20C temp? Regardless, I will buy more bottles for my next batch.

yeah puting them in the fridge will slow any carb down, warm them up, tip them up etc to mix up the yeast...

Great - I'll do that when I get home. Thanks for the advice.

I found that with M44 it was much like US-05, around 3 weeks to carb up properly in my spare room, so give it time. another 2 weeks and you might be alright.

However I'd suggest investing in crown caps and glass bottles, and then batch priming as per john palmers advice in howtobrew.com

Yeah I would like to batch prime but don't have a secondary/bottling bucket so have been making do with with adding tsps in the meanwhile.

I'll turn the fridge off and then see how it turns out. It won't change the extreme bitter taste of the remaining 26 bottles - I'll just have to battle through them.

post the recipe you used for this batch hop amounts etc

I'll do my best for the recipe:

Black Rock Light (Unhopped)

Black Rock Ultra Light (Unhopped)

60m - 25gms Pacific Jade

50m - 25gms Pacific Jade

40m - 25gms Nelson Sauvin

30m - 25gms Nelson Sauvin

20m - 25gms Wai-iti

10m - 25gms Wai-iti

0m - 50gms NZ Cascade

Yeast: MG West Coast MP44

Dryhop after 5 days - 50gms NZ Cascade

I was trying to go for a Tuatara APA clone but had little idea on the hop schedule.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service