Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I am a sausage and beer lover. I make my own sausages. I have a sausage recipe from 1851. For christmas I have decided to try and make as an authentic recipe as I can. The bread in the recipe uses german beer yeast

"Yeast from home-brewed beer is generally preferred to any other: it is very bitter, and, on that account, should be well washed, and put away until the thick mass settles. If it still continues bitter, the process should be repeated; and, before being used, all the water floating at the top must be poured off. German yeast is now very much used, and should be moistened, and thoroughly mixed with the milk or water with which the bread is to be made".

Mrs. Beeton. The Book of Household Management (Kindle Locations 16044-16047).

Any suggestions as to the type of yeast I should try and get hold of

Mark

Views: 145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Mark,

I just got a brew fermenting - English style best bitter. I am interested in what you say simply because I too make sausage as well and cheese too. But I wondered whether you had a really good recipe for the South African style boerewors sausage. I do and I could send it to you if you wanted to give it a go - really great on the barbecue

Guys, wife has just purchased some monstrous sausage making machine, keen to get your advice on a good starting point for recipes. Any book you'd recommend, have half a cattle beast that was to tough to do much else with so keen to get started on the sausage manufacturing. Appreciate any good pointers you might have

cheers

Here's the chunky barbecue sausage recipe for anyone who might like to try making some:

5kg Beef
1kg Pork
1.5kg Speck (I use pork tails)
60ml Salt
15ml Pepper
45ml Ground coriander
15ml Ground cloves
25ml Ground allspice
7.5ml Ground nutmeg
190ml Vinegar

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by