Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Does anybody know if there is someone who makes conical fermentors on the homebrewer scale in nz? or does anyone have expereince with ordering these from overseas? what sort of prices etc

Views: 21791

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So after Smiffy's post re the plastic fermentors in have found this,,NZ-SS-Fermtors  which also mentions "plastic ones coming soon.."

Their normal web site is http://kegresources.co.nz/keg01/ but the conical fermentors aren't mentioned at all.

Maybe consider using an upside down plastic carboy and drilling hole for the pressure value, side valve and use a cap & bottom valve (some serious pissing around).

I will email Brett at keg resources ( brettm@kegresources.co.nz ) and ask which plastic ones they will be getting.

I'm currently using a rotokeg as a fermenter, and that is fine with 5 psi, but it is hard to clean because of its shape. So I'm looking for the advantages of a conical, but without loosing the ability to pressurize it.

E-mail sent.

Hi Smiffy

Got a reply for Keg Resources...  Their plastic versions didn't work out so they are looking at something else and will let me know later.  He also mentioned that they are looking of a SS 50l Conical Fermentor conversion from a SS  50l keg.

Here's the e-mail.

Hi Grant,  I know look after the Keg Resources side of our business so
Brett has passed your email onto me. The plastic option I mentioned
on the sella listing fell through, was not upto scratch so I am currently
investigating other options and will keep you posted, we are also
looking at converting used 50l stainless kegs into fermenters and
also boilers. Kind Regards Rick

I am just looking at manufacturing some conical fermentors in NZ, I'll post shortly with the design.  35 litre and 70 litre options in plastic, should retail at less than $300.  I should have everything in place within a fortnight but only made the first design model today.  35 litre should be easy enough to move like a normal fermenter into fridges etc.  Bigger one might be too heavy when loaded for a fridge, certainly a handful to move anyway.

I'll post back in the next couple of days once I have the design in place, any interest would be appreciated so I can gauge whether its worth my time and cost to fabricate.

Sweet... and I do like Made in NZ (good man).

Makes a change eh?  A bit tired of paying through the nose for stuff and importing bigger items is a real pain with customs or having to order in bulk.  Fingers crossed it turns out ok.  Be nice to be able to make a cheap conical fermenter that's within everyone price range.  Just need to cover all the checks so it will perform to whats required - holding pressure, handling and durability etc.

Will post back as soon as the design is complete and I have some feed back along with some market research.  

I would want to be able to pressurize to a minimum of 3 psi but ideally more.

I don't think everyone would want to pay for a rotating racking arm, but if you designed in a substantial enough boss, it could be made so one could be fitted.

Sounds pretty good.

I looked about a found some issues on some conical fermentors where the bottom vale wasn't large enough so the dead yeast mass basically wouldn't come out when the value was opened.

Another point was how to heat your fermentor on cold days.. but heat belts work well, they are just not as easy to find as heat pads.

Anyone have issues if the fermentor was made from Aluminium?

I looked at this too, but couldn't find any chemical suitable for cleaning aluminum in the way that caustic can be used on stainless. You can clean ally with caustic, but it takes some of the ally off as well as the muck. I like the idea of the cheap plastic version.

There was a copper alternative as well but I think thats going to be $$$ just on material alone, I'll speak to him tomorrow to find out

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service