Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94595

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Richard, all my faux pils with US05 are lacking a crisp bitterness but then I didn't lager them. I am going to do my next 4 or so brews around faux pils and planning to use 1272 and MJ Workhorse and ferment low 15c but no lagering. I think the ale yeast pilsners will become a popular style.

Hey Mark, I would agree about the lack of crisp bitterness.  Mine was just nicely clean and I used Nugget which is a nice smooth bitterness.  I'm unsure how much difference the lagering made - I was told mine was more like a really good Amber Ale than a faux IPL.

I used Riwaka and a bit of Nelson Sav in the bittering

I just brewed a fake lager, mild ibu's for quaffing in the sun. Might be a little light on the wakatu maybe. I was very dubious about the M10 when I hydrated it because it didn't smell very nice but I pitched at 18 then cranked it down to 15 in the fridge. Nice sulphur smell coming out of it for the last few days. Should be interesting.....

NZ Lager

Classic American Pilsner (2 C)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 23.00 l
Boil Size: 25.81 l
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 23.92 l
Final Bottling Vol: 21.00 l
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage

Date: 05 Nov 2014
Brewer: Mark Weusten
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: Grainfather
Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Taste Rating: 30.0

Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amt

Name

Type

#

%/IBU

23.00 l

Auckland, NZ

Water

-

5.00 kg

Lager Malt (3.9 EBC)

Grain

90.9 %

0.50 kg

Munich Malt (17.7 EBC)

Grain

9.1 %

14.00 g

Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

Hop

18.4 IBUs

10.00 g

Wakatu (Hallertau Aroma) [7.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min

Hop

4.1 IBUs

10.00 g

Wakatu (Hallertau Aroma) [7.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min

Hop

3.0 IBUs

10.00 g

Wakatu (Hallertau Aroma) [7.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min

Hop

1.6 IBUs

1.0 pkg

Workhorse Beer Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M10)

Yeast

-

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 27.1 IBUs
Est Color: 9.2 EBC

Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Calories: 427.1 kcal/l

I'm brewing my Red IPL this weekend.  I don't have the recipe handy, but similar to some of the recent posts, I'm doing a "faux" lager...well, IPL...hopped like an IPA, this will be fermented with US05 at 15C.  I'm using 245gms of hops and it should be about 6.5%ABV.  My last one was perfect when I was bottling it, but had major issues with carbonation which ruined it.

I have a better handle on priming now (a year later) so looking forward to enjoying this beast.

Unfortunately, I've had to change up the hops I use...no Nugget or Citra available from brewshop...so using Warrior and Mosaic instead...anyone used Warrior as a late hop?

I have heard that Warrior will not add much in the way of aroma or flavour as a late addition. Where are you Richard? I still have some Citra in the freezer for a good cause.

Thanks for the offer.  In Hamilton, but I will probably stick to Warrior for bittering, might drop back some of the later additions and rely on the Mosaic and Nelson to get a good Hop Aroma and Flavour.

Love that mosaic. sounds like a god drop there richard.
mosaic in my mind has alot more going for it, and i find myself using it in place of citra where the recipe calls for it.

Speaking of Mosaic, I am brewing the MJ The Kraken kit this weekend

Attachments:

Looks good. Funnily enough I have a black IPA recipe similar to that, mostly mosaic.
Any information on what the dryhopping and flameout additions are? theres only total hopping amounts?

Interesting hop schedule

17g Pac Jade @ 60

55g each Citra/Somcoe/Mosaic @ 0

75g each Citra/Somcoe/Mosaic dry hop

Whoa, that s a hefty dryhop.

I assume two additions for dryhopping?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service