Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94607

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What was your strike water temp?
I've been struggling to get my initial mash temp right lately, do you allow you strike water to go above 77c?
I had it at 69 for about a minute... I thought I'd leave it there - but chickened out! I think it would leave a very very chewy mouthfeel if I left it there for the duration of the mash. I'm just hetting used to the change in climate - as my grains are about 15 degrees, I've been trying to find the right strike temp. This one was LGR 2.5:1 @ 76 degrees. My sparge water is 78 degrees, and I didn't mash out. I generally go a bit higher than I need, as it's easier to cool it down than what it is to heat it up.
Pussy!! Should of tried it!! But your are going for 78% Attenuation

I Keep my grist/grains in and AIRTIGHT bag in my chest freezer which is at 20deg anyway, so I dont have to fart arse around struggling for the sweet spot of strike water. I still Strike @ 75 for a 2.5L/G for 67 deg and dont preheat the tun.
DUDE!!!! I just fucked up!!!! I just weighed out 25g of Amarillo insted of Cascade! Oh well.
Same Same but Diffrent!! Its not a crutial bittering hop addition like the extra 2% AA could come back and wack you on the enamel but I think you have teeth like mine which are all IBU stripped!!
Do you calculate strike temp for each batch based on grain temp etc etc or just make an estimate for "warmer" or "colder" ?

I calculate it each time & usually go spot on
I don't calculate. My plan is always to have my strike water at 77c and use enough to get to 67c. I then play with the hot & cold to get the mash thickness that I'm after.

My problem at the moment is that with all of my strike water at 77c I'm only just getting to 66-67c. I've started doing quick little decoctions to get the temp up without affecting the mash thickness.
I calculate each time, because I want the LGR to be consistent - so I try to wait long enough for the thermometer to equalise in the malt but sometimes........ No big deal - a little bit of cold water and the LGR hasn't been affected too much - I only needed a pint in the mash (20L).

On another note - who's been getting massive efficiency with Maris Otter? I just hit an all time with 88% which isn't a big deal - but I was actually trying to make a beer below 6%... now I have to cross my fingers the attenuation stops at 1.014 (6.5%abv) otherwise I'll be looking at a 7% Porter!
My efficiencies are solid around 75-76% with Maris Otter.
Yeah I get 83% off it 80% any thing else!!
What about you Stu - do you notice any difference in efficiency between Maris Otter and other base malts you've used?

Or anyone else?

I'm trying to work out if I need to factor this in to the following brews that I do with it... I'd hate to assume 88% in a recipe where S.G is vital, and get lower.
i usually get 80% or more

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service