Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94597

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I dont think you could go wrong with a straight sub for Pale Choc - if you got it, use it. Carafa II isn't as dark as Chocolate malt, so I dont think there is any point using that as a sub. I actually prefer Pale Choc to Choc anywayz...
Thanks guys, I cant really justify another grain order at the moment so I think I'll go with the Pale. The only reason I was thinking of Carafa II as a potential sub was because I noticed Joking uses Carafa III in his porter.

I'm glad you prefer Pale anywayz 'coz it's probably gonna be in the case swap ;-)
Good observation mate. I'll be using some CaraFa III next week in my new season Porter along with Pale choc. I'm leaving out the black this time around though.
What i will be brewing tomorrow am in the garage
The Russell Flagpole Kiwi Draught

Partial Mash

Dirty Ole Coopers Lager 48%
NZ Pilsner Malt - 43%
Pale Malt MO 6%
Carafa Special II 3%
15g NZ Hallertau @60
15g NZ Hallertau @20
10g NZ Hallertau @10
5g NZ Golding @5 or 0 - haven't decided
S04 yeast - ferment at 16c
Target OG 1.048, IBU -14

Using up the last of my S04 and my open packets of hops.
The Hallertau is great for an NZ Draught, but to keep it true to style, don't use too much - you don't want any flavour in there !
I reckon you'll have a lot more than 14IBU in there too - or is that just your own additions - the coopers lager is a bitter beast from memory - I must have brewed close to 100 of them

Been brewing the Blandes, which are probably not too far from an NZ Draught, with us05 and hallertau and above 60% ibu:og it gets a bit too lemony

I'm not looking forward to my time in the garage tomorrow morning though ... it's a bit bloody cold, the only upside is the wort'll chill pretty damned quick

cheers, jt
Just mashed in and as I thought it's a bit bloody cold
All done & dusted with 25 litres of Pukie Too - ammended Kid Choc recipe - in the fermenter.
The extra 2.5% crystal makes quite a diffrence, noteably sweeter that the first.

Hey Stu - what liquid yeast would you have done KC with - apart from the West Yorky - I was wondering how it would go with 1968 if I ever went liquid again

cheers, jt
1968 would be soooo nice with that recipe of yours.
The Pukie Tutu was tasting good, the extra crystal beefed it up - but it was down to 1.009 which was a bit on the thin side, contradictory I know but wtf - I should have done this a week earlier

Yeah, i've been thinking about the bittering hops that are in the lager kit. I've dropped the bittering hops and halved the 20 minute addition. That gives me 4 IBU on beersmith, but i think the hops in the kit should take it a bit higher. Time will tell i guess.

Cheers for the input!
No worries.

I checked back and I used to reckon it had 20 IBU in 20 litres.

There are several threads on www.aussiehomebrewer.com that list the IBU content of each coopers kit and how to calculate the kit ibu in your volume
Knocked out a dry stout this morning.

68% MO
21% flaked barley
11% roasted barley
40 IBUs
SG = 1043
London ale yeast

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service