Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94604

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Holly heck that article is a lot to wrap yer brain around.

I've been batch sparging for a few years now. and find it a little odd that the article didn't mention how long to batch sparge for and the differences in temperature the batch sparge water has on efficency.

I have found it best if batch sparge water is about 74-76C and that it gets a good 30minute soak before draining.

I do like how the article compares 2nd & 3rd sparges... well within expected ranges really.

a little odd that the article didn't mention how long to batch sparge for and the differences in temperature the batch sparge water has on efficency.

Maybe that would have given him too many variables?

The theory is sound though. As long as your method of batch-sparging is consistent (crush, sparge temp, etc.) then you can track the efficiency decline for making bigger beers by that graph.

After plotting some of my beers and drawing a parallel curve, I tried a 1.090 Belgian according to the predicted decline. the OG was within 2 points of the predicted efficiency.  

Yeah.. fair point. Maybe longer batch sparge for a bigger brew will fix that.

Saw a Refracto-meter Link for sale on a site that I may have to look into... a quick as easy way to see how your sparges / wort OG are doing.

I bought this exact model a couple of weeks back and it arrived last week in time for a brew on the weekend. It was great to be able to check gravity at any point without having to take a 150ml sample and either cool it down or do the calcs.

Yeah, a longer mash will usually give you slightly better efficiency too.

Hi all . Next brew I plan to make a nz pale. Preferably nice balance of malt and hops . Base is maltrop pale. Nz hops cascade, Nelson sav and motueka. Would love some riwaka in there but I can' t source any. Any suggestions welcome.

Sounds great. 2013 before any of us see Riwaka again.

You could try the NZ Craft Beer TV - Mash Up:

http://nzcraftbeer.tv/mash-up-20-litre-recipe/

I brewed this on the weekend and it's looking good. As per the recomendation I swapped out riwaka for nelson sav and motueka.

hi

just boiling this I have high hopes as it was great the first time i brewed it (2009) I shagged with the recipe for later brews but never the same.

I have used the flaked barley this time instead of the rolled oats. and added the pacific gem as the alpha was lower than expected on the nz golding. Still shagging with it after reading the post.

I got 33.5L in to the kettle @ 1.052 estimated on beersmith was 1.050 @ 31.1L 

looking strong

Dasve

Irish Red Ale99
Irish Red Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 1/07/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 25.00 l Brewer: Dave
Boil Size: 31.12 l Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
End of Boil Volume 26.52 l Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 25.00 l Est Mash Efficiency 71.4 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 49.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.70 kg Maris Otter (Bairds) Pale Malt, (6.3 EBC) Grain 1 81.4 %
0.70 kg Carared (Weyermann) (47.3 EBC) Grain 2 10.0 %
0.50 kg Flaked Barley (3.3 EBC) Grain 3 7.1 %
0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (1200.0 EBC) Grain 4 1.4 %
50.00 g Golding, NZ [4.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 20.3 IBUs
5.00 g Pacific Gem [15.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 7.7 IBUs
1.20 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.00 Items Chiller (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 8 -
50.00 g Fuggles NZ [7.30 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) [23.66 ml] Yeast 10 -
50.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG Measured Original Gravity: 0.000 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.1 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.0 %
Bitterness: 28.1 IBUs Calories: 0.0 kcal/l
Est Color: 31.5 EBC

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 7.00 kg
Sparge Water: 19.87 l Grain Temperature: 14.0 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C Tun Temperature: 12.0 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20
Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 18.76 l of water at 76.8 C 66.7 C 60 min
Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 19.87 l water at 75.6 C
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Hmmmm mmm, Flaked Barley. I haven't used any flaked barley or wheat for awhile, used to regularly use 5% or so. Might have to pick some up.

Be interested in your comments over on the recipe thread about my experience with Flaked Barley. Just 200gms into my favourite ESB recipe completely changed it for the worse.

No problem, it's each to their own, everyone has different tastes and brewing your own means you can get what you like.
I hope you've rebrewed it without the flaked barley now?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service