Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First time for me, I'll tell you how it turns out!

Poured off some wort for a SG check at 48hrs, it's thin, clear and lagery, looking good so far. I think it's going to end up drier and more interesting than most American Lagers, but should make a good summer brew. I've only got 10L to contend with, so I'm not too fussed if it's like making love in a kayak.

I don't have a temp controlled fridge, so I'm down to ice and praying to the weather gods. I've kept it between 12 and 14 so far, lets hope that it continues that way.

You have to cook the rice until it is gelatinous (e.g. boil it until it is 'overcooked') before the mash enzymes can break down the starches sufficiently. Screws up all your mash temperature/volume calculations, but I've never been one for doing that exactly anyway. I just used the cheapest medium grain rice I could find, apparently long grain doesn't work quite as well. 

I ground mine in a coffee grinder til it's like flour, mash at 70C for 5 mins with about 250g pilsner malt, boil for 30-40 minutes then dump into mash as normal. You don't have to grind it, I just didn't want it clogging up my sparge. If you can get hold of flaked rice, just dump it straight into the mash as it's pre gelatinised.

I've managed to keep mine cool ok, but the yeast is a bit sluggish. Might have to start warming it up a bit.

Cooled one down and cracked it open. Tastes great, light and very drinkable and after only a week of lagering. Now I've got to try and leave it alone for another few weeks...

This was my first lager, I used S-23 lager yeast and it seems to have gone great. Might try a Cal Common with it next (when my fermenter isn't full)

finally ran out of porter, so:

4.2kg Maris Otter

200g medium xtal

150g dark xtal

200g brown

250g pale choc

150g black

30g northern brewer (9.8%) @ 60, 10g @ 20

-> 23L of ~40IBU, 1.047

2tsp CaCO3 in the mash, and US-05 to ferment.

Brewed a Dortmunder Export yesterday, with a Kiwi twist:

OG 1052

IBU 30ish

4.5kg pils

0.5kg Munich

0.3kg Carapils

0.06 Melanoiden

20g Motueka at 60, 30, 10, 0 and dry

Wyeast 2042 Danish Lager

Unfortunately I didn't modify the water during the mash, apparently the style is quite high in sulphates (my water is pretty neutral). Would it be ok to put a teaspoon of gypsum in the fermenter, or would this upset the pH and possibly risk infection?

Recipe looks nice, I brewed something similar last year and was great. Motueka and Pilsner go well together.

As far as the salts are concerned I would leave it alone. Any damage is done by now and adding it now would not really change anything. I think it'll be fine though, pilsners with soft water, say no more...
Yeah that was my feeling too, don't fix something that ain't broke. Loving Motueka at the moment, hopefully this beer will subtly showcase the hop.

Something dark and restorative to take up to Taupo for the cycle challenge at the end of November. Pobably more a Southern Brown but I was thinking about Scotland at the time of brewing it...

Fowler's 60/- (for 160km)

43% Pale malt

43% Munich type 2

10% Dark crystal

2% amber

2% pale chocolate... 67c mash, moderate carbonates, OG 1.036... expecting about 3.3%.

All NZ Fuggles to 20ibu

Wyeast 1338 European Ale yeast for a malt driven character

Low to no carbonation and it should go well in the bottles on the bike! I am sure it would taste a lot better than any of the sports drinks on the market!!
i might take my handpump and save it for afterwards!

Hi all,

Here are the ins and outs of the NZ Craft Beer TV Mash Up recipe as it was communicated to the collaborating craft breweries. I'll sit down today and convert it to a 20 litre brew for everyone so you don't have to headbutt the calculator yourselves. Thinking maybe if anyone wants to give it a crack, Luke and I will probably get a little competition going where we'll judge a bunch of your Mash Ups and vote on the best. Anyone keen?

Cheers,

Kelly

The Recipe

Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt - 70%
Gladfield Ale Malt - 30%

Original Gravity - 1.058
Final Gravity - 1.012
Final AbV(%) - 6.0

Liquor Treatment - Calcium chloride only (in mash) at rate of 0.59 grams per kilogram of grain (based on starting water chemistry as follows):

Ca 9.7 ppm
SO4   0.5 ppm
Mg 0.1ppm
Na 12.2 ppm
Cl 15 ppm
CO3 30 ppm 

Mash Grist:Liquor ratio - 1:2.6

67 degrees Celsius mash temperature, 45 minute saccharification time

Hops - Southern Cross, Riwaka, New Zealand Cascade

1st addition - Southern Cross(at boil start)
2nd addition - Riwaka, NZ Cascade and Southern Cross (flavour addition, 30 minutes before boil end)
3rd addition - Riwaka, NZ Cascade and Southern Cross (aroma addition, add at boil end or into whirlpool)

Aim for 50 IBU and 90 minute boil time.

Dry hopping - Add into fermenter at SG of 1.015 - 1.020. Add Southern Cross, Cascade and Riwaka.

Hopping proportions will vary on your system and IBU calculations, but can be proportioned as follows:

1st addition - Southern Cross at 8.5% of total brewhouse hop volume
2nd addition - Riwaka at 22.9% of total brewhouse hop volume. NZ Cascade at 13.1% of total brewhouse hop volume. Southern Cross at 6.5% of total brewhouse volume.
3rd addition - Riwaka at 9.8% of total brewhouse hop volume. NZ Cascade at 26.1% of total brewhouse hop volume. Southern Cross at 13.1% of total brewhouse hop volume.

Dry hopping rates - Total = 3.48 grams hops/litre of fermenting beer

- Southern Cross - 1.63 grams/litre.

- NZ Cascade - 1.14 grams/litre.

- Riwaka - 0.71 grams/litre.

Due to the lack of Riwaka on the market, we recommend a combination of Motueka and Nelson Sauvin (at a ratio of 4:1) to give a flavour/aroma profile that is similar. This would have to be adjusted according to alpha acid percentages.

Cool!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service