Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94600

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hi all,

the WellyBC is doing an ESB for it's next style.

this is what i'm planning. any comments appreciated.

ESNZB

after info on aroma and flavor for styrian or normal NZ goldings, and NZ Fuggles (if it exists).

and any recommendations for another yeast (other than S04) that might be a good change (looking like windsor?).

also, thinking about switching the flaked wheat with flaked barley (little bit of added creamy texture?).

jo's sorted me out on this. cheers.

Monks Habit clone for the next WBC

3kg Golden Promise (floor malted Thomas Fawcett)

2.5kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann)

1.5kg Munich Type I (Weyermann)

.250kg Dark Crystal (Thomas Fawcett)

50g Cascade (9.2%AAU) 60min

20g Riwaka (4.8%AAU) 15min

30g Styrian Goldings (7.2%AAU) 15min

30g Riwaka (4.8%AAU) 0min

20g Styrian Goldings (7.2%AAU) 0min

30g Riwaka (4.8%AAU) dry

70g Amarillo (8.2%AAU) dry

S05

BOOM

Nice bro... nice!

Did you manage to get this down today?

all thanks to you bro.

just mashed out. hit mash bang on 68, should be a meaty beast.

Plans to brew a Windsor Pale with the slurry from the Windsor Brown (Lil' Darkie)
The Brown went 1033 to 1014 - mashed high and had 20% specialties - so I'm hoping it's a bit beefier than it's usual '05 cousin.

So weighed out for the weekend

85% malteurop
15% Dark Caramalt
1034 with Super Aplha to bitter then 0.5g/l Sauvin and 1g/l cascade at 20 10 & 1 and dry

Now on yeast, after 100 or so batches mainly with '05 I've given Nottingham & Windsor a run
I thought I'd prefer the Windsor, but I'm quite please with the Notts in the browns
The Windsor was good in the pale
Neither are as kind to the hops as the '05
But both seem less intrusive or distinctive as 'O4

Horses for courses I reckon, '05 for the late hopped pale, Notts for the Darkies, windsor in the Motueka/Pacifica pale
I just need to be a bit less rigid in my choices and stock a bit of variety in the fridge

cheers, jt

Interesting. I have just done a couple of brews with Nottingham but I have not yet got around to tasting it all. There is a APA in the fermentor with Nottingham which I will be interested to try after your comments.
Have you brewed similar recipes with another yeast Ralph ?
I have brewed similar with US05 and with S04 so it sounds like I am doing pretty similar to you.
Was supposed to be skiing today but we fled the storm and got back in time to put down a brew. My standard pale ale grain bill (GP, munich, carapils and dark crystal) and riwaka, cascade and simcoe onto a yeast cake of 1272. I've not used riwaka and simcoe together before, should be interesting.
I brewed yesterday afternoon & felt guilty being inside on such a good afternoon.

This afternoon I got stuck on the wrong side of the hill between J'Ville and Newlands after the snow started falling and had a chilly but fantastic walk home

Liz Zainasheff

Classic Styles!

Good old JZ!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service