Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94607

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Jacko, do you have plans for a Kid Choc ?
I have maybe 400 - 450gm Brown malt sitting unwanted if you just need a batch or twos worth
Bought last march / April from memory and stored bagged and tupperwared since

Cheers, jt

Thanks mate, yeah I do plan on a kid choc at some point, got so much planned I don't know when I'll fit it in though! I do have some brown malt in my stock but if you don't want yours I'll certainly take it off your hands, I'll find something for it to go in! I liked it in a porter I made and I also added some to my stout yesterday. Do you not like it? I can find you a couple of beers for it if you like?

I brewed a dozen or more milds with it and I find it very distinctive.
What started out as distinctive and great steadily declined into distinctive and had enough
I went through that cycle a couple of years ago and no doubt I'll go through it again in a couple more

It's yours if you have a use for it, no worries, better than have it sit here to be eventually biffed out

We'll catch up at some stage I'm sure

Cheers mate, let me know when you're next in town and we can meet up for a beer.

Stu was kind enough to share his His Majesty with  recipe with me, so I brewed this, and I think it will turn out quite nice. I also brewed a variant with different hopping and yeast. (Mostly due to not having enough 1968 yeast.)

The variant beer came out at around 1.052 OG due to my horrible efficiency, and the IBU at 77. Since I only had one packet of 1968 Wyeast, and my calculators were saying I should add more yeast, I also used a packet of US-05. My hops on this were 60 min 1oz Magnum, 30 min 1oz cascade, 15 min 1 oz cascade, 0 min 1 oz cascade. I plan to dry hop with 1 oz Nelson Sauvin. Will this work?

I think the Stu recipe version is going to taste much better. I wonder if mixing US-05 and 1968 is plain stupid. I guess I will find out in a few weeks.

Tumeke Breakfast APA

Partial mash, half batch (12.5L), under the delusion that it wouldn't take as long. Cobbled together from a mix of stuff I bought and had lying around.

1.5kg pale LME

200g wheat DME

500g vienna

400g golden promise

150g carared

50g med xtal

300g fijian raw sugar (really fragrant stuff)

300g instant oats

15g simcoe @ 15

15g US cascade @ 15

15g simcoe @ 5

15g US cascade @ 5

10g simcoe @ 1

10g US cascade @ 1

the better part of an 11g sachet of gervin yeast

plan to dry hop with my remaining 10g of simcoe and cascade

Pitched the yeast at 16degC at about 7pm last night and it still isn't really going at 11am. Always concerns me when that happens but whatevs.

Where did you get the Fijian sugar?

Sounds interesting, can you tell me anything about its flavour/fragrance?

Cheers

Dave

Mahadeos indian spice warehouse on New North Rd in Auckland. It's really fragrant, like almost gingery smeling, and has this amazing toffee flavour. I've made a hard ginger beer with it and when it dries out you can still taste the toffee.
Is that the stuff that has a yellow / red label with a palm tree on the front of it? "Paradise" brand or something?
Nah Mahadeos just have it in their bulk bins.
Ah really? I don't suppose you remember what it goes for? I'm always looking for sugar for distilling (says the guy with 200kg of dextrose in his shed). The fruity sorts of raw sugar are great for rums after cutting them with a bit of molasses...
Hmm, sorry man. I don't recall it being especially cheap on the scale of things but I'm sure you could get it a lot cheaper if you bought in bulk.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service