Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94611

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Try and keep that temp around the 18-20c mark if you can Tony. I know it is warmer up your way but surely you can keep it lower than 25c!
25deg is what I pitched it at, but surely for an ale early - mid 20's is what you want to ferment at?
Personallly I try not to go over 20, and I ferment most of my ales at 18-19 and Im gonna keep it that way, because thats how I like it!
Try different temps for yourself and see what you prefer for the style/yeast you are using.
Sorry but 25oC give or take a couple of degrees is out of the question for me, for most ales.
ok thanks Dan, I'll bow to greater experience. I was of the opinion temperature consistency was more important than the exact temperature (with in reason of course).

I am fermenting my lager at 12-14 deg, but I don't have a fridge to keep it any cooler, thats just the ambient temperature I can get it at, although it might drop lower overnight?

How long do you expect an Ale to ferment at 19deg?

I am looking at my Ale bubbling away nicely at the moment, at 22 deg. But 12 deg would be too low for an Ale yeast, I would have thought?
How long do you expect an Ale to ferment at 19deg?
Depends on the yeast, its health, oxygen levels, nutrients, the gravity of the wort just to name a few factors,
I,d say 7 days as an average on an average gravity ale with most yeasts but there is too many factors to consider.
Yes 12oC is too low for most ale yeasts but there are some that can ferment at low temps and give fast, lager characteristics.
Because your using Safale yeasts you'd, get a better idea of times and temps from those who use it!
thanks Dan. I was aware of the nuances of the fermentable time I was simply interested in whether there was a huge difference between times? Around a week to 10 days is what I would expect too.

She's still bubbling along, with some lovely aromas. It's in my office where I have my pc, so I can't ignore it. I think I need a beer.......
I use Safale (and Saflager) yeasts and in general I find that primary fermentation is over in about 3-4 days. I usually then leave it 10-14 days for secondary, sometimes longer.

Temperature-wise, S04 claims to have an active range of 15-24 degrees but I usually aim for around 18 degrees. My honey porter (with S04) is currently sat in the garage and bubbled along at 20 degrees during primary but is now ticking over at 16 degrees in secondary.

Anyway, the missus has just come back from a day trip to Leigh Sawmill with a few takeaways, so I think I'll have a beer!

Cheers,

Martin
Consistency is important but keeping it within range is just as important. As Dan says, experiment and see what you like. I seem to like esters more than most, so I don't mind a warmish temp (though I'd never purposely try to go over 22c with any of the dry yeasts I'm using).

I find S04 gives off more and more banana as it gets warmer - too warm and it tends towards whiteboard marker (not good!). I'll not use it in summer anymore (I'm not the kind of homebrewer who is into fridge fermenting, I like to go seasonal). At just over 20-22c it seems like greenish banana, though this does tend to fade and is generally gone in a month. Under 20c ester production is certainly more suppressed. From my experience it takes a good month for this yeast to mellow completely and let the hop character really start to come through.

I've not got enough experience with US05 to comment sorry.

re: time - my ales usually ferment out in 2-3 days. I'd expect a little more for extract beers and would probably pitch a little extra yeast too. I use the calculator at www.mrmalty.com (if you do, make sure you change the yeast production date on the calculator - I make assumption that expiry date on packet is 1 year after production).
Thanks Stu, as I have recently started brewing again, I am not familiar with the characteristics of the different current yeasts. I am going to acquire some cultures from a brewer friend who raises his own for spacific brews. I am told that 'good' yeasts can't be dehydrated and maintain their character. But I take on board your comments on the change in behaviour at different temperatures!
Ok I got it down to 18 deg. BTW whats the best sugar for priming with?
(Quote Tony) I am told that 'good' yeasts can't be dehydrated and maintain their character.
The few Safale S04 brews ive done this year have come out great, fast ferments good flocculation and damn tasty too, more importantly consistent, and easy to use.
I also had the delight to taste a couple of bottles of someone from this forum's Apa last week, brewed with S04 and I was well impressed! My couple of uses of Us05 were reasonable but im not used to using the yeast.
Maybe they dont fully maintain their original character, i dunno! but S04 can make a damn fine beer.

Priming sugar! Im not going to claim what is best, maybe krausening, maybe not?, ive not tried it.
Dextrose is what I and im guessing most of us use for priming, its cheap, fast, easy and consistent, some use DME but its slow and expensive and ive never noticed any difference in flavour from such a small amount.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service