Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I'm slowly aquiring parts for a single tier set up.

I'm stumped at which burners to use at the moment.

What's everyone using and how do you find it?

Cheers and beers,

Glenim.

Views: 2181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use a 3 ring burner under my HLT, which is an adopted SS keg. I have the keg sitting up on some house bricks to raise it up from the burner. I have a medium pressure adjustable regulator, and it heats my HLT to strike temperature in about 15 minutes.

I use another 3 ring burner under my 40 lite alu kettle, with a standard BBQ regulator, and it gets me to boiling in 15 to 20 minutes.
Sorry I should have qualified.... Mine was a distillation reference which means that it can heat the liquid from room temp to boiling in 15 min, not from the end of sparging at 75 deg to boiling. that is a lot quicker...
I'm looking at getting one too (my new flat doesn't have a gas stove!).. What do you guys reckon about this one?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Kitchen/Hobs-ovens/Other/aucti...

Is it worth forking out a little more for a burner with a stand like this one?
The stand would make it convenient if you have a large flat bottom pot keggle etc that would be precarious to balance on a a straight burner (without frame)

I can speak from experience with the legs on those frames are quite fragile so its only a matter of time before they snap off but its easy enough to make somthing more durable legs!
Haha "easy enough to make something", that's relative. I'm pretty useless in practical department!

If those frames really are fragile maybe it's best I steer clear of them... What's wrong with using a couple of bricks anyway? ;-)
LOL even a set of 4 long bolts with a nut either side of the frame would suffice as legs - or even bricks I suppose.
However theres nout wrong with the frame that the pot sits on and the burner is the same one that a lot of people use!

sorry to dig up an old thread.

But i am looking at buying a burner from wellington.

I would like a 3 ring however i can get a 2 ring for under half the price.

Is there that much of a difference??

Or does anyone have a spare one they are willing to part with?

Hi Chris,

Where are you looking at buying it from and how much? You can get a 3 ring on trademe for $70 delivered (no regulator).

According to the specs they give, a two ring burner is 18,250 BTU and a 3 ring is 43,000 BTU (4 ring BTU 95,950). 

So you double the claimed output every time you add a ring. I used to use a 3 ring burner for a 50 litre keg (23 litre final volume of brew) and upgraded to a 4 ring burner when I got a rust hole in the gas shaft of the burner.

I've found many problems / faults with these but they do the job

I have a 4 ring burner, and it pumps out the heat. Go bigger not smaller... that would be my advice. 

thanks for the info guys. 

how long did it take your 3 ring to get to boil from room temp compared to a 4 ring? did it half the time as per output?

am looking at bunnings. 3 ring $100 with a stand that the keg will nicely sit on

Not sure on the time difference (someone else probably knows), I went from bricks with a 3 ring to a stainless stand / shroud with the 4 ring burner too so that would effect the times as well. 

Not sure if I would trust that much weight of boiling liquid on the cast iron stand but sounds like some people do it, with a 4 ring burner (stand-less) you can't really use bricks alone any more as the burners too wide.

If you get one and have a yellow flame try having the air inlet discs screwed out to let more air in

I agree with what Sam and Tbone have said - go big especially if you plan on filling your kettle up.

and especially what Sam said about those legs on the framed burners - the frames are fine - legs I would replace with somthing a bit more sturdy right from the word go might save a brew day from ending in tears!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service