Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi folks,

After 3.5 successful extract-based batches (batch #4 is in the fermenter at the minute so I daren't claim it as fully successful yet!) I'm thinking that it will soon be time for The Next Step. I suspect it will be partial mash as I don't really (yet) have room for a pot big enough to boil a full batch volume. However, I intend to get to all-grain within the next few months.

I've done a fair bit of reading (How To Brew, numerous websites) and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed in terms of information on how to build the necessary equipment, more specifically a mash/lauter tun. A converted chilly bin seems to be the answer but I'm drowning in descriptions of manifolds, braided hoses, false bottoms and ball valves.

My budget is limited, but so are my DIY skills. Can anyone point me to a simple guide (or provide same themselves) with idiot-proof instructions along the lines of "go to this store, buy these items, cut this here, shove that pointy bit in there" etc.?

Many thanks,

Martin

Views: 415

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Happy with dry yeast thanks JT. Especially with T-58 shaping up to be a nice wee Belgian Pale Ale yeast. I moved my kegs to the cellar last night and the T-58 batch smelt and tasted like the perfect kind of yeast for a Strong Golden Ale too. Duvel anyone?
Duvel ?

I hear it's a bit fizzy Stu
If you want to spend next to nothing on a lauter tun, this works well! [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l203/NzDan_2006/Lauter.jpg[/IMG]
Cost me about $20 to make and its done over 80 brews now, the 20 liter bucket has just been able to handle 8kg of grain, 2 kg more than the bucket in bucket could! and it keeps it seems to keep its heat fine, grain bed sitting at 75 right through the sparge, only had a few stuck sparges.
The upside down colander had more holes drilled into it and through the sides, a copper tube goes to the centre of the bucket, a plastic fermentor tap is fitted.
Of course i,d far rather go with the copper manifold in a chiller to save transferring to the lauter tun after conversion and possibly a better extraction, havent got around to buying the bits of piping yet!
Interesting calculator here for calculating mash tun size required, scroll down to 'Can I Mash It'

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service