Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hey, so I'm thinking about getting a 2L conical flask off labwarehouse.co.nz for yeast starters, but because I'm a tight student I really don't want to pay half the cost of the flask in shipping. So, does anyone in ChCh want to get something from the Lab warehouse and combine the order and save on shipping?

Views: 1071

Replies to This Discussion

I'll get in behind a catch-up to build a stir plate.

I had a look at Jaycar for parts and we can probably make some savings if we buy 4 of everything. (e.g. Enclosures are $22 for one but ~$17 a piece when you buy 4.)
Hmm, this could turn out quite good with our bulk-purchasing power, brain & brawn :)
Enclosure $7.9 Jaycar CAT. NO. HB6012 (less for 4+)
Power Switch $2.2 Jaycar CAT. NO. ST0570
Rheostat $12 DSE R6905 (Also called a Potentiometer)
Control Knob $1 Jaycar CAT. NO. HK7705
120mm Fan $20 DragonPC (Unless you have one maybe Tastech for $10.)
Magnets $0 From old HDD (if you have one, otherwise the Red Shed Recycling $2)
Power Supply$ 0 Old cell phone charger (if you have one, otherwise the Red Shed Recycling $2)

About $45 me thinks, however if you want to get fancy with resistors, and correct wiring then $$$.
Thanks for organising James et al...Was in and out of meetings today so only logged on now...Will see you tomorrow with the green notes.

Cheers

Ged
The equipment has turned up today, unfortunately when I picked up the box all I heard was broken glass.....

I think it's only one so far, but I will unpack it at lunchtime and take a closer look. I have already sent and email to Labwarehouse to see if they deal with the claim from the courier!!
Okay only one was broken in the end! They are sending another today, so that means you guys can have these ones and I'll wait for mine.

Let me know if you want to pick up from Riccarton (near the mall) or another fine establishment...
Thanks James...Regarding the Rheostat..( and I don't have much of a clue when it comes to electrics), is 500v with 5 watts not overly heavy duty for a 6.4 or even 10v dc power source at about 0.5 watts? I see they have around 50 different rheostats as well as jaycar..Thanks again for sorting the flasks...

I've got a soldering iron should anyone wish to undertake a neat job inside their box
The funny thing about all of DSE's pots is that they are all rated: 500VDC Max 3 Watt Linear Taper...

I think their catalogue is bung! I'll have a look around.
Jaycar have them under potentiometers..Am looking through them just now and googling to find out best restistance / size...Looks like somoeone used this one - 500ohm 24mm Potentiometer Linear Single Gang (B) - $2.70
I like the way this bloke has done it...He's used slightly longer bolts and put them in from the bottom of the box with a nut halfway down the shaft to control the height of the fan..It means a totally flat top where you would sit the glass flask..Most of the others have the fan connected ' hanging down' from the top of the box with the top of the bolts slightly sticking out and have to put some felt in between to make up the height difference...Nice work..

http://blogs.hundredmonkey.net/brewblog/?p=7
I'm sold on that one! :)
Looks good to me. I'd be v. keen to catch up to build these if you boys don't mind.

I'm short on tools etc.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service