Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I did my first AG BIAB this weekend, thanks to Reviled for some motivation and Rusty for a nice looking recipe. I missed Saturday due to an urgent job which was supposed to be two hours, ended up nine.

What an experience with BIAB, here is my step by step:

7:00 - I should be heating the water right now, but my daughter wants to have breakfast with me.
8:00 - And a little keggle waits.... daughter still number one priority.
9:00 - It's like it's raining and I can't play outside.. mother in law is coming to help me.
9:45 - Mother in law takes over parental duties, the burner is on, and I'm like a kid at xmas.
10:30 - Temp only 64c, wind is blowing on keggle.
11:00 - Refill gas bottle, hit 69c. (WTF was I on when I checked it last night... oh yeah a pilsner.)
- Grain in, temp 66c (That'll do pig.)
12:00 - Another urgent job, jerry can lid is f***ed need a replacement.
12:55 - Argh Sunday drivers, temp down to 60c (hopefully not a problem being in mash for 2 hours...).
13:00 - Mash out temp should have been 72c for 10 minutes, turned out my thermometer doesn't like being dropped in wort. I just lost A LOT of efficiency.
13:40 - Hot break hits, boil started 20g Hallertau
14:10 - 25gm Tettnager
14:40 - Transfer to 20litre cube for no chill. (And 1 litre for yeast starter).
14:45 - Hit the pilsner from last night again...

So all in all five hours due to a couple of stuff ups. I have learned a lot from this adventure. First of all my efficiency sucks, get more grain next time. I hit 1.035 - 1.040 however didn't take into consideration the temperature of the wort when I took the same. I think I will get about 3.5% alc, hopefully 4% however will check it again before I pitch.

I need to finish my immersion chiller, as I would have liked to have pitched tonight.

Can't wait to do this again, the process is very simple, just need to give it another go.

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah I got my first AG (BIAB) done on Friday night. Thanks too to Reviled and others for advice. Went pretty much without a hitch. Made an imm. chiller too which helped.
Sounds like a stressful weekend all round in Chch for the new AGers.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service