Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I am making a 40 Litre Lauter tun out of Chilly bin. I need to seal the tap at the bottom of the tun with something. I have looked at a range of Sealants at the hardware store but dont really know which one is most appropriate?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Views: 259

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A rubber washer should do the trick. Id be wary of using any chemical sealants that come in contact with the wort although a little probably wont hurt anyone.
Two words. Bulkhead. Fitting. No sealant required, but as Dan says below, a washer (or two) is often a useful component of the fitting.
What sort of fitting are you trying to put through. Fibre or rubber washer will do the trick for most, a small amount of thread tape if it still leaks
Thanks for all suggestions. I need to use a sealant as well as an internal washer and thread tape externally. None of the sealant will come in contact with the wort (hopefully!) and so I agree with Dan: the small amount that may come in contact will not impart a flavour or any toxins to the wort.

Cheers fellas. D
find something that would be safe for a fish tank. if it doesn't kill fish it won't hurt you
Yep, i have been looking at all that stuff. The main considerations I had thought of were
1) Safe for fish. I.e. Does not leach toxins when immersed in water
2) Relatively temperature tolerant.

There are a number of products made by Fuller, Sika etc that comply with both of the above. Average price is $15-20 for 100mL tube.

Thanks for your comment Horace.

Regards - D
silicon washer. rubber could also impart flavours.
Check that. Totaly agree. Thanks for your comment,. Dyl
my home-made MLT is leaking badly now - its just a thin walled jobbie that I sprayed with expanding foam ala JoKing. Anyone know where to find Aquarium grade silicone sealer?
Have made and used silicon washers with no problems.

Got a silicon baking tray from The Warehouse and cut the washers out from that.

Have also made gaskets using Master #7 Product 7-1 Hi temp Gasket maker. Repco has it.
yeah I've got home made silicon washers in there - problem really is that the hole in the plastic wall looks more like a big gnarly tear rather than a hole.
Aquarium grade silicon sealer is readily available at most hardware stores. Some are specifically marked on the front as aquarium safe others you just need to check the fine print on the back. Just read the back of all the clear silicon sealers - I have found that those that aren't aquarium safe say so and visa versa.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service