Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi All
(Hopefully I didn't miss a thread here, I searched first!)
Just wanted to see if anyone has rhizomes available this year? I hear there is a shortage, however if there are any suppliers anyone knows of I would be keen to given them a go!

Maybe we can get a list of suppliers going? I see in the old forum that Stephen @ Hallertau may have been one of them, any ideas?

Cheers

Views: 17324

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looking epic Chris! Good job...

More Mystery German pics

hey guys, my bines are still cranking. I have four that are growing in a huge tub. theyre almost my height now. they were cuttings I took from a very mature bine that was growing out the front of McCashins brewery in Nelson, so i have no idea what variety they are! I have no hope of flowering at all as I planted these cuttings late december -way too late. What I am hoping however is that they have grown a nice wee rhizome for me to save for next spring. 

Anyone have a few tips on storing rhizomes either in the pot or out of the pot over winter? Things are getting pretty chilly here in Wgtn so I think it'll be 'chop' time soon. Cheers!

Just leave it in there, theres no need to store it!, leave it outside in the cold intact, and it,ll be back in spring with a vengeance..

Finally harvested all the hops today. Filled a fermenter up to the 20L mark before giving up. There were so many of the buggers. Sorry about the lame phone pic...

hi all,

was wondering if anyone can give me any feedback on their experiences brewing with the smoothcone hops. i have just bought a rhizome off trademe, but as with most other people here would be really keen to get my hands on some of the more restricted ones. how does the smoothcone stand up to some of the other varieties? i have read talk further back in this forum (about 2 or 3 years ago) of people growing cascade from seeds they have found in their purchased hops. are any of you guys still around? how did they turn out? 

I did not know that hops even came in dwarf varieties??

I don't know how readily acessible other varieties of hops are Nate. It's usually hard to get anything identifiable as the industry doesn't actively sell its cultivars.

As for dwarf varieties, you might not have too much luck given what's available to homebrewers. Hops don't really like to grow below a 45 degree angle anyway, you have to train them. Last year's Smoothcone crop at my place had 12 feet of string to grow on and needed more like 15-18: when the bines get tangled into a mass the flowers are much harder to harvest.

I'm still getting round to brewing with it properly, but I can spare some Smoothcone hops for anyone who anyone in Chch who wants to try it. The harvest was 750g dried from one plant, so it's certainly prolific.

I've got other commitments on Thursday unfortunately, but message me and we can sort something out.
Could all meet up over a beer at Cassels or Poms sometime soon? I would be interested to talk hop plants too.

Heya,

I was wondering if there are any hop rhizomes out there at the moment.

Will happily exchange for a few brews or a bit of cash if that suits

cheers

nik

I have Mystery German,Smoothcone and Danscade if you want some?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service