Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi

I visited a small brewery when on a recent trip to the UK and they mentioned using Isinglass Finings to speed up time from fermenting to drinking.

I just wondered how I would go about using it for my homebrew method?

Currently I rack off to a secondary fermenter after primary fermentation has finished, then batch prime before bottling.

I figure I would add Isinglass to the secondary fermenter but am not sure when? Also, from what I understand, Isinglass kills off the yeast, so surely this would make priming before bottling a waste of time and thus produce flat beer? How do I get round this issue?

Many thanks
Chris

Views: 132

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can bottle condition after using isinglass. All it does is drop out yeast and tannins faster (not all of it), what yeast do you use? I have had good experiences with the magnifine 300 from cryer malt but i chill to 0 then add isinglass which i have prepared earlier. At the moment i dont bother with it and use regular gelatine to fine in my kegs and im very impressed. 2 week old beer thats crystal clear using wlp001. Ive heard that gelatine can strip to much yeast for botlle conditioning though.
Hi Adam.

I've been using Safale US-05 and Saflager S-23 yeast.

If bottle conditioning will still work after adding isinglass then I'll give it a try, what's to lose! Will be interesting to see if it speeds up conditioning and gets rid of that 'yeasty' taste quicker.

Many thanks for your help.
What I usually do is just cold crash it in the fridge for 24hours to a week. Damn near crystal clear after that.

Although it depends on how much fridge space you have and I keg so I don't know if the yeast survive the cold, I'd say they would though.
Cold crashing isn't really an option at the moment as I just don't have the fridge space. Am going to keep an eye out for a s/h fridge for using over the summer though so will keep that in mind for a future experiment.

Does anyone know the right time to add Isinglass?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service