Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

They'd obviously make great hot liquors but has anyone ever considered turning one of these into a mash tun?
Not sure how tough they'd be but stick in a lauter screen, a big dial thermometer in the side, and a spigot and it might be quite nifty for step mashing. There's a dial on the side for the element that's connected to a thermostat in the bottom. Probably need to stir it quite a bit, but might work ok so long as you use a thermometer to monitor temp and don't rely on the thermostat...? I think this is either the best or the worst idea ever.

Views: 157

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a similar model as a boil kettle.

It would have to be quite a deep false bottom to go above the element.

I dunno how much I would trust that thermostat that's in it though, with a bit of fiddling I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to learn where to set it, esp. if you have a thermometer installed.

Can't see why it wouldn't work though.
I use one as a kettle, but have never actually considered using one as a mashtun, Im sure it could be made to work but I,d certainly not be keen on stirring it all the time, set and forget is what im used to, with the chilly bin.
Insulation would have to be a must if you dont want to be constantly stirring it as the thin steel loses lots of heat fast, I even wrap my kettle in a blanket with a tie down these days, It seems to promote a more vigorous boil with my meager 2KW element.
I dont know how heat dissipation would work if it was un-stirred but it would be great for step mashes if your keen to constantly monitor and stir it it I guess, could be good for decoctions too maybe.
I used to use a keg and a gas ring to heat my mash tun. I thought it was good as I could do multistep mashes easily. You do need to keep stirring them otherwise stuff does burn on the bottom. I would think it would be worse with an element. I did lose a lot of heat through the sides, tried using foam camping mats to insulate it. Also had a nice perforated plate fit theinside of the keg.

Have given up on that idea - now use mostly single temp mashes in a chilly bin. Got it from the red shed, works better than the keg. Virtually no temp loss over a 1 hour mash. Had a drain tap in one end already so didn't need to drill a hole (and wreck it - so can still be used as a chilly bin when the boss wants). PVC plumbing with hack saw slots as the false bottom and 15 mm ball valve from bunnings.

Only down side is if I cock up my strike temp its a bit awkward to correct. But I don't have to worry about continually boosting temps.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service