Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Anyone know of a source for rye or flaked rye here? I've checked all the usual but haven't seen it. Along these lines, can you get honey malt anywhere here in NZ? I used to get Gambrinus Honey Malt in the states and was looking for something similar. Melanoiden just doesn't quite give me the same thing.

Thanks in advance!

Views: 560

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

www.libertybrewing.co.nz

Jo should have Rye, and will be able to point you towards flaked rye no doubt. However we cant get honey malt in NZ.

You're not doing the CYBI Terrapin Rye APA Clone recipe are you?

I made that recipe with flaked rye from Piko Wholefoods in Chch, then got some rye malt from Brewer's Coop for batch #2.

Never seen the Honey Malt for sale here.  

Hmmm, I did check Liberty but they didn't have any rye listed. Ah, and yes, Brewer's Coop does have rye - I hadn't checked that one, thanks! I'll check with that Wholefoods place in ChCh for the flaked rye.

Out of curiosity, why is it that we can't get honey malt here in NZ? I noticed Australia seems to be the same. As far as I know, it's just sprouted in a low oxygen environment, giving it sweeter sugars apparently. Is there some kind of regulation here that deals with this?

Thanks all!

Our malt distributor in NZ trades with Europe, Australia and the UK, so this is where all of our specialty malts come from. None of these manufacturers make honey malt. Furthermore, the reason why you dont see it in Australia, is because the malt distributor also takes care of Australian distribution.

Consolodation of a container full of malt from the USA would be a huge gamble in terms of enough NZ breweries in NZ / Austrailia buying the malt especially when there are cheper alternatives already available.

If there's any malt that you want / need, and it's not listed on libertybrewing just flick us an email, and we'll get some in.

Cheers!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service