Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

It's easy to get on here and say when a beer isn't quite right or you've had a bad experience, or one brewery uses no hops or the other one closes down their little brewery. How about the positives? What's tasting good and who is moving and shaking?

I've been having a real stellar run of good beer recently...

Brewjolais is number one, while it is still on. I don't often get a chance to drink more than two pints of anything but this one just begs me for a third everytime I'm in the Mac's bar on the waterfront.

I've been loving the Emerson's May Day Stout, especially when you fill a rigger and can hold on until the next day to drink it - the lower carbonation really releases all the lovely hop flavour.

I was nicely surprised by Green Man Stout last night. A nice little mini-Imperial Stout.

Invercargill Biman is HUGE at the moment. Full of malty goodness and a big whack of hops.

Fullers London Porter is absolutely outstanding, though I doubt there wil be any left in Wellington within a week or two. Everyone seems to be into it. It is so much more malty and less roasty than all the kiwi porters.

The Malthouse are on top of their game. Mussel Inn Captain Cooker last week, Invercargill Boysenberry this week, Chimay Cinq Cents on tap next week (a new Zealand first?).

Wellington's best barmaid has left Bar Edward. I'm only in there once in a blue moon but she'll be well missed. I bought her a drink on her last night and she picked Tuatara Belgian. The best barmaid and great taste!

Talking Tuatara - Carl Vasta was a most generous host for SOBA's first organised brewery tour. How often in NZ do you get to turn up to a brewery to see the handpump set up and a fresh keg of IPA going through it? I really can't wait to see his new big dog brewery pumping out a shed load of beer (excuse the use of "shed load" Luke).

ps. latest batch of Epic Lager is pretty darned good too. Look out for it on tap or in the brown bottle (first batch was in green).

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a taste of the new batch of Bob Hudson Bitter at Galbraith's (one Keith brewed while Ian has been away) when I was touring Jay Brooks around Auckland for the day, and it is the best I have had in a number of years.
Agreed Luke, I had the Bob Hudson last friday, it is indeed an excellent drop.
The smell of lightly boiling hops with a lovely malts, emanating from my kettle! Aaaaah
The Twisted Hop have replaced their Poplar Brown with an Oatmeal stout as their seasonal brew. I thought it was delicious

They've also brewed a pretty decent pilsner but I had had a few dark beers before I tried it. Seemed to be nicely bitter but it doesn't have the floral hop aromas of Emerson's pilsner. I'm keen to try it on its own soon.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service