Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

It's easy to get on here and say when a beer isn't quite right or you've had a bad experience, or one brewery uses no hops or the other one closes down their little brewery. How about the positives? What's tasting good and who is moving and shaking?

I've been having a real stellar run of good beer recently...

Brewjolais is number one, while it is still on. I don't often get a chance to drink more than two pints of anything but this one just begs me for a third everytime I'm in the Mac's bar on the waterfront.

I've been loving the Emerson's May Day Stout, especially when you fill a rigger and can hold on until the next day to drink it - the lower carbonation really releases all the lovely hop flavour.

I was nicely surprised by Green Man Stout last night. A nice little mini-Imperial Stout.

Invercargill Biman is HUGE at the moment. Full of malty goodness and a big whack of hops.

Fullers London Porter is absolutely outstanding, though I doubt there wil be any left in Wellington within a week or two. Everyone seems to be into it. It is so much more malty and less roasty than all the kiwi porters.

The Malthouse are on top of their game. Mussel Inn Captain Cooker last week, Invercargill Boysenberry this week, Chimay Cinq Cents on tap next week (a new Zealand first?).

Wellington's best barmaid has left Bar Edward. I'm only in there once in a blue moon but she'll be well missed. I bought her a drink on her last night and she picked Tuatara Belgian. The best barmaid and great taste!

Talking Tuatara - Carl Vasta was a most generous host for SOBA's first organised brewery tour. How often in NZ do you get to turn up to a brewery to see the handpump set up and a fresh keg of IPA going through it? I really can't wait to see his new big dog brewery pumping out a shed load of beer (excuse the use of "shed load" Luke).

ps. latest batch of Epic Lager is pretty darned good too. Look out for it on tap or in the brown bottle (first batch was in green).

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, that is a good run. And that's all in about the last month!
And I'll have 8 kegs of homebrew on by the end of the week (some fuller than others).
It's the old saying that you'll tell more people about a bad experience than a good one Stu.

I hope there's enough Brewjolais left for a pint after the Great White tasting next week - now that would be good news.

Fullers London Porter eh ? I was quite taken with the Emersons offering I tried last night and to borrow a tacky phrase, 'one sip begs another' The bottle was labelled 'roasty' but the roastiness was quite subdued to my twisted palette.
I'll second the vote for the Fullers London Porter. It's a beautiful beer, especially on cask. And I don't generally like porters - or at least, am seldom in the mood for them.

Crouchers Pilsner has been tasting exceptional of late - so much tropical fruit!

Does anyone know if the Brewjolais is expected to last another couple of weeks? I'd really like to try it.
It'll be touch and go Greig... It is available in Auckland, if you are heading up there.
I am indeed, where is it on? I asked the Mac's website, but it seems more about silly marketing and impossible-to-read fonts than actually imparting info on their beers...

Yes, I'm grumpy today. ;)
The Northern Steamship Brewbar and Nuffield Street Brewbar
The Brewjolais was still on at the Northern steamship a week or so ago, haven't been in since.

A lovely drop!

Martin
Funnily enough I hear a fair few people saying they prefer the Fuller's London Porter in the bottle. I guess, for now, I'll just have to pretend they are right!
Stu, I got a bottle of the freshly landed Fuller's London Porter a few weeks ago from Grant at Beer Force and it was fresh and very nice. Not saying I prefer it but it was in very good condition, and a well made beer.
Yeh, I'm loving it too. Buying it here there and everywhere. I've actually had about 4 or 5 bottles in the last two weeks. It's pretty rare for me to drink that many of one beer in such a short space of time, I usually like to spread the love.

The Old Winter Ale is an interesting beer too but hasn't stood up quite as well.
I think I heard Steve, from Hallertau, saying he is or has just put on a keg of Fullers ESB, will check tomorrow.
i found out today that there is still over half a keg of Captain Cooker, so once this runs out then the Fullers ESB will be on.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service