Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

FYI - NZ International Beer Awards Results

Some observations:
"Rogue IPA" took out the always contentious Supreme Champion award.
The foreign beers totally cleaned us out - only two NZ beers took out classes (and one of them was for NZ styles): "Wigram Propeller" and "Townshend No 9 Stout".
Strangest name - typically Japanese - "Draft One Sparkling Aroma" (just pipping "Menage A Frog", "Yellow Snow Ale" and "Old Crustacean").

Award the for supporting SOBA goes to Sapporro for their "Morimoto Soba Ale". Nice work!

Views: 94

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

stu, forgive the ignorant question, but why is it that beers can be entered in the nziba when they are not commercially available in nz? i have no prob with international beers being allowed entry, but given we are basically a tiny little nation down the arse end of the world, what use is it to have a beer awards that only serve to decorate the labels of beers we won't see unless we can afford a trip to the likes of the US northwest? surely they should be at least on sale in this country....?
It is normal practice for international beer competitions (such as the WBC, AIBA etc.) to attract entries that are not commercially available in the country in which the competition is held. Here in New Zealand, for example, both competitions (BrewNZ and NZIBA) allow such entries.

One difference between NZIBA and BrewNZ however is that at BrewNZ a foreign beer (which is not commercially available in New Zealand) cannot win a category trophy.

I believe it is entirely healthy and appropriate for Kiwi brewers to have their beers judged against overseas entries. Of course, when it comes to competitions held in this country, it could be argued the distance overseas entries have to travel to get here should give a distinct advantage to the local beers!
Most NZ brewers, if forced to choose (and entries are not cheap, so they probably will have to), will probably support the BrewNZ event because it is run by their own organisation (The Brewers Guild of NZ). Both NZIBA and BrewNZ attract a lot of interntational entries, some are available in NZ and some are not. Some breweries are trying to gain market awareness here in NZ, while others just want either the feedback or a medal on their bottle (or inside the bottle cap).

I agree with Geoff that it is healthy and appropriate to have kiwi beers judged alongside international beers (remember they are being judged against a guideline and not against each other). It is also important for organisers to be able to accept these overseas entries, as it would be difficult to make it commercially viable with only NZ breweries entering. And it is great for stewards - I've tasted sme interesting and amazing beers thanks to my times stewarding at BrewNZ.

On Luke's note - re: how many NZ breweries entered - one thing that I really like about the Australian International Beer Awards (and I think the World Beer Cup do it too) is that they actually state which beers entered, as well as publishing all the medal/class winners. It'd be nice to see the NZ competitions do the same.
Another observation, NO NZ beers got GOLD

How many New Zealand breweries entered?
...other than Brewers Premium Old Dark from BOP Brewery of course!
Thank you Geoff. I am more than pleased about this award and will continue to support the event. Larry Kurth.
Well done on the gold medal at Nelson Larry. I keep hearing really good things about this beer, so I must get up there sometime and try it.
You would be very welcome. Larry
Good question Luke. And while we're on it could you publish the same information for last year's BrewNZ?
sure, when I get some time i will, or maybe you could. ask Stu for the info he has it all
I can remember almost every beer entered in the three years I have stewarded and can probably remember every festive beer... one of the benefits of having a near photographic memory. The negative is that I can't remember your name until I meet you for the 7th time (unless we've already exchanged emails, or you have given me a business card).

Any questions?

I'll say right now that I may not get it 100% right but I'll be pretty close.

Before anyone asks:
The best beer I remember not medalling was 2005's Galbraith's Stars and Stripes (boy did the stewards enjoy themselves after cleaning up that night, sure it wasn't the most full-on APA ever but it was a nicely put together ber).
The beer that most shocked me in winning "big" was 2006's Mac's Sassy Red (Best in Class - Amber Ales?)... it tasted terribly metallic coming out of the tap [no I wasn't sucking the tap!] but after sitting in a jug for 5 minutes or so it must have really opened up for the judges.
The festive beer that I most remember but nobody ever mentions was Emerson's Kassis Kristal (I had a really great night with some hospo staff and my current girlfirend's ex-boyfriend at the Plaza, talking beer, getting free food and drinking a lot of Kassis Kristal).
Best festive beer name was Malt Shovel's "Coal Porter".
Most under-rated festive beer was Mac's Demonic Ruby (lovely beer once it warmed up a little).
Ohhh! Demonic Ruby! I remember that fondly. It was what I was drinking the last time I was at the "old" Shed 22 before the remodelling. Kempicus and I supped a few by the fire. It was just a stunner. *sniff* I'm getting all teary now.

Colin: If you read this, and don't hate me due to my opinion of most of Mac's current range, please brew it again! ;)

Who said bare faced cheek was a dead art?

I remember Stars and Stripes also. Delicious, and disturbingly sessionable. The original Mac's Sassy Red was a brilliant beer - full of character in a sea of mainstream blandness, and saviour when picking up BBQ beers at dodgy bottlestores with mates. Not so sure about the recent revisions...

"Current girlfriend's ex-boyfriend" Stu? Sounds dangerous! I also never knew about your memory. Remind me never to insult your parentage - you'll never forget it!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service