Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi All

I am starting to see more and more scorching on the base of the GF as I get into a few more brews. Wheat beers in particular seem to be an issue.  I find the High Performance Cleaner cannot shift this at all and so have started to use 5 star PBW and have needed an overnight soak on occasion.

Anyone got any tips on cleaners for the the GF?

Views: 812

Replies to This Discussion

Someone posted this to the Facebook group which seemed to work for them

3L warm water with 5 tablespoons of washing soda and 3 teaspoons of iodine for 72 hrs. Sodium percarbonate is what it's called.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1557967401104380/permalink/16564226...

A little CLR Clear on a plastic scouring pad, the type with sponge backing, will remove it in seconds. Then wash with clean water. This will keep the bottom like new and especially so if you have hard water like we do here in Wanganui.

Actually I've just seen the photo on the Facebook group and I've never had anything like that. I get some light coloured deposit around the centre of the base but definitely no caramel coloured burning in 12 brews. Something doesn't seem right there. Are you adding any sort of adjunct sugar to the brew, LME or DME?

I've had this for the last two brews I have done. A thick blob of black, caked on scorch mark. Admittedly the last two brews have been Belgian style beers (a strong golden ale and a dubbel) and they have had a bit of added sugar. 750g worth in the case of the strong golden ale, so I wonder if it's related to that. I added the sugar near the end of the boil with about 15 min to go. I drew out 2l of wort and dissolved the sugar into it first rather than just dumping it in. My OGs were 1.074 and 1.069 for the SGA and the dubbel respectively, so not massively high, but still pretty sugary. I have a dark, malty session beer planned next, so the gravity should be a fair bit lower. Will be interesting to see if I still get the scorching. So far I have used one of those green scrubbing pads with the sponge on the back. Works well, but has given the bottom of the GF a bit of a "brushed steel" look.

OK, so I brewed a 3.5% malty session beer the other day and I had no scorching on the bottom. It seems to be worse when you add sugar to the boil (as I do when brewing Belgians).

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service