$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

BARLEYWINE

5600g Maris Otter

225g Crystal

175g Dark Crystal

--------

6000g      75min Mash @ 64c

1.8kg Muntons Light Malt Extract (added with 30mins left in Boil)

120min Boil:

First Wort Hop: 35g Waimea (15.8%)

60min: 35g Waimea

10min: 175g Homegrown Whole Hops

0min: 50g NZ Goldings (4.1%)

Dry Hop: 50g NZ Goldings after 5 days

W1335 British Ale II (2nd Gen - pitched onto yeastcake from ordinary bitter)

OG= 1092

FG= 1024

10 day fermentation, 20 days conditioning in keg, Force carbed & bottled.

Unfortunately only available in 330ml bottles, hope no one feels short-changed!

Cheers

Tom

Views: 152

Replies to This Discussion

My first ever proper review of a beer and I have to say it's quite beneficial to go through the process of stopping to try to identify individual aspects. Here goes:

Appearance

Ruby red with a sparse head that fades quickly. Small amounts of lacing remain. Almost crystal clear. 

Aroma

Rich toffee with hints of banana. Slightly phenolic but not in an undesirable way.

Flavour

Well balanced bitterness. Complex flavours. I really struggled to put a name to them but they worked well together.

Mouthfeel

Smooth with light carbonation. Clean, dry finish.

Overall

Deceptively easy to drink. It's tasting great now and will only get better and more complex with age. I'd suggest leaving this for half a year or more if you can. As a barleywine I reckon this works a lot better than the all-MO ones we brewed a couple of years ago and that's mostly down to the complexity of flavour; the single malt ones had fantastic caramel but that was about it. I'm going to steal this recipe and give it a go myself!

Appearance: Pours clear dark amber. Pale off-white head, which lingered around the glass a while.Aroma: Some mild sweet toffee notes, a little perfume.

Flavour: Very sweet toffee at the start, with a whack of bitterness at the end. Very black and white on the palette.

Mouthfeel: I find most of the barleywines I brew to be too syrupy, but this wasn't at all. Nice carbonation.

Overall: Very nice barleywine - didn't taste too young to me at all. Thanks for sharing!

Appearance: Dark red amber, fine white head that quickly dissipates, very clear, and negligible sediment. 

Nose: Biscuitty and malty.

Taste: A very smooth malty hit initially followed by some resin notes and a lasting bitterness. 

Mouthfeel: Smooth heavy malts, well carbonated, not too dry.

Overall: This is the first barleywine I've tried, and was much appreciated with the cold weather we've been experiencing.  Cheers for this one Tom.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service