Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

The next quarterly competition will be held at Hallertau (as usual) on the 30th of May 2009. The next style will be BJCP style 9D. Irish Red Ale.

Anybody who is interested in entering can contact myself to find out the necessary information. If you are not a resident of Auckland, and wish to enter please contact me - and I will organise you entry to be made.

The style guidelines for the next competition are below:

9D. Irish Red Ale
Aroma: Low to moderate malt aroma, generally caramel-like but occasionally toasty or toffee-like in nature. May have a light buttery character (although this is not required). Hop aroma is low to none (usually not present). Quite clean.

Appearance: Amber to deep reddish copper color (most examples have a deep reddish hue). Clear. Low off-white to tan colored head.

Flavor: Moderate caramel malt flavor and sweetness, occasionally with a buttered toast or toffee-like quality. Finishes with a light taste of roasted grain, which lends a characteristic dryness to the finish. Generally no flavor hops, although some examples may have a light English hop flavor. Medium-low hop bitterness, although light use of roasted grains may increase the perception of bitterness to the medium range. Medium-dry to dry finish. Clean and smooth (lager versions can be very smooth). No esters.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, although examples containing low levels of diacetyl may have a slightly slick mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Smooth. Moderately attenuated (more so than Scottish ales). May have a slight alcohol warmth in stronger versions.

Overall Impression: An easy-drinking pint. Malt-focused with an initial sweetness and a roasted dryness in the finish.

Comments: Sometimes brewed as a lager (if so, generally will not exhibit a diacetyl character). When served too cold, the roasted character and bitterness may seem more elevated.

Ingredients: May contain some adjuncts (corn, rice, or sugar), although excessive adjunct use will harm the character of the beer. Generally has a bit of roasted barley to provide reddish color and dry roasted finish. UK/Irish malts, hops, yeast.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.044 – 1.060
IBUs: 17 – 28 FG: 1.010 – 1.014
SRM: 9 – 18 ABV: 4.0 – 6.0%

Commercial Examples: Three Floyds Brian Boru Old Irish Ale, Great Lakes Conway’s Irish Ale (a bit strong at 6.5%), Kilkenny Irish Beer, O’Hara’s Irish Red Ale, Smithwick’s Irish Ale, Beamish Red Ale, Caffrey’s Irish Ale, Goose Island Kilgubbin Red Ale, Murphy’s Irish Red (lager), Boulevard Irish Ale, Harpoon Hibernian Ale

Views: 145

Replies to This Discussion

I have heaps of Gen 1 & 2 1469 I could bring along.
Oooh, Gen1! Yes please.
Just a quick reminder to everyone to please use the generic Swappa Crate Quart Bottle. You wont get marked down for not using them - but it makes it easier to jusge if they all look the same... and for other people who's houses I've been drinking at, I will recognise the bottles you normally use.

NVIOUS is Stewarding, so please bring your bottles straight to him - he will be the brown haired balding chap with the glasses walking around with all the bottles.

See you all there.
I hope I don't get stranded at Great Barrier - sailing there first thing in the morning - back fri night.

Sure Greig - I'll bring along a tube of 1469 from the freezer - or I might have a mason jar from the stirplate in the fridge.
Will just add that you prob wont notice my hair as I have had a close shave!
And my normal name is Alister, as some people might frown if you ask for NVIOUS. LOL

See you all there. Going to be a ripper!!
Sooooo....... NVIOUS for the 2nd time has cleaned up. It was a close competition with 3 standout beers making the grade. Notable mentions go out to Greig McGill and Danimal for their beers.

Big thanks go out to Albrecht Von Wolmoden and Luke Nicholas for helping out with the Judging - it was a good night.

Here is a bit of a wrap up for y'all...

The standard of beer was pretty good again - I have to say it was a difficult style to go against. Quite a few many beers were so similar, there needed to be a standout against the style to take it away. In the end there were 3 - and one of them was a clear favourite. Great work Al.

The judging however was a mere shadow of what the evening had to offer. Luke was generous enough to offer a vertical tasting of each of the Epic Pale Ale, and Epic Lager beers that have been bottled since the brand was released. In all honesty, I was suprised how MALTY the lager had become with age - and how LITTLE cardbord flavour had been introduced into the Pale Ale.

I think a few people MIGHT disagree - because the beer wasn't up the the regular Epic standards - but in my opininion - the 2007 Epic had a character of its own - and "although different" was still fantastic...

And then came the 2006 Mayhem, the Epic Porter (OH MY FUCKING GOD THE PORTER WAS OUT OF THIS WORLD)... and would you believe it........

..... EPIC PALE ALE.

..... BREWED AND CASKED AT THE EVERARDS BREWERY IN THE UNITED KINGDOM FOR THE JD WETHERSPOONS FESTERVAL.

What a Privilege and an absolute honour to have Luke provide this tasting for us. Thank you so much. We all appreciated the beer so much - and the tasting was such a suprise. It is absolutely fantastic to see brewers like you supporting the grass roots of beer. Everyone was grateful, and no-one went home without having a good night, because of the beer you bought along for the night! Thank you so much.

So... to wrap it up - thanks to Steve for hosting us again, thanks to everyone who entered - and made NVIOUS's pockets deeper - and thanks to the Judges!!!!

Cheers.
What a superb afternoon/evening. Huge thanks to Luke for bring along those intriguing Epic morsels, Steve for allowing us to take over his lounge area and to Joseph for organising the whole shindig. My head is surprisingly clear this morning!

And congrats to NVIOUS once again. I'd better start saving up for the hops for the American IPA now.....
Yes, I'll echo the thanks. My first WBC, and it certainly won't be my last. What a blast! We had to get our guests back home in reasonable time, so left slightly early, but still had the best time ever.
Yes, likewise. It was great to catch up with you all and a thoroughly enjoyable evening all round. IMHO, Steve Plowman, has to be the hero of the evening. For a commercial premises, to allow us to bring our own into his bar and take over, like we did. Is outstanding to say the least. He deserves full kudos, for supporting home brewers and deserves our unending support and custom.

I look forward to the next one, I'll b brewing! Cheers

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service