Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

First a big congrats to Greig for the resounding win in the Belgian Tripel category. You could drive a truck between the winning score and the next place. Of course, as always, huge thanks to Steve and Hallertau for being such kind hosts, and to our judges: Steve, Martin, and Barry.

Our next beer style was chosen by Rhys (welcome to the group!): a Rauchbier. To make judging easier, I propose we define the style per BJCP as "Classic Rauchbier". Our challenge will take place at Hallertau on 25th Aug, judging to start around 3:00 PM. If you are interested in judging, shoot me a message. $10 entry per beer.

Aroma: Blend of smoke and malt, with a varying balance and intensity. The beechwood smoke character can range from subtle to fairly strong, and can seem smoky, bacon-like, woody, or rarely almost greasy. The malt character can be low to moderate, and be somewhat sweet, toasty, or malty. The malt and smoke components are often inversely proportional (i.e., when smoke increases, malt decreases, and vice versa). Hop aroma may be very low to none. Clean, lager character with no fruity esters, diacetyl or DMS.

Appearance: This should be a very clear beer, with a large, creamy, rich, tan- to cream-colored head. Medium amber/light copper to dark brown color.

Flavor: Generally follows the aroma profile, with a blend of smoke and malt in varying balance and intensity, yet always complementary. Märzen-like qualities should be noticeable, particularly a malty, toasty richness, but the beechwood smoke flavor can be low to high. The palate can be somewhat malty and sweet, yet the finish can reflect both malt and smoke. Moderate, balanced, hop bitterness, with a medium-dry to dry finish (the smoke character enhances the dryness of the finish). Noble hop flavor moderate to none. Clean lager character with no fruity esters, diacetyl or DMS. Harsh, bitter, burnt, charred, rubbery, sulfury or phenolic smoky characteristics are inappropriate.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Medium to medium-high carbonation. Smooth lager character. Significant astringent, phenolic harshness is inappropriate.

Overall Impression: Märzen/Oktoberfest-style (see 3B) beer with a sweet, smoky aroma and flavor and a somewhat darker color.

Comments: The intensity of smoke character can vary widely; not all examples are highly smoked. Allow for variation in the style when judging. Other examples of smoked beers are available in Germany, such as the Bocks, Hefe-Weizen, Dunkel, Schwarz, and Helles-like beers, including examples such as Spezial Lager. Brewers entering these styles should use Other Smoked Beer (22B) as the entry category.

History: A historical specialty of the city of Bamberg, in the Franconian region of Bavaria in Germany. Beechwood-smoked malt is used to make a Märzen-style amber lager. The smoke character of the malt varies by maltster; some breweries produce their own smoked malt (rauchmalz).

Ingredients: German Rauchmalz (beechwood-smoked Vienna-type malt) typically makes up 20-100% of the grain bill, with the remainder being German malts typically used in a Märzen. Some breweries adjust the color slightly with a bit of roasted malt. German lager yeast. German or Czech hops.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.050 – 1.057
IBUs: 20 – 30 FG: 1.012 – 1.016
SRM: 12 – 22

ABV: 4.8 – 6%

Views: 1064

Replies to This Discussion

Awesome tasting at Hallertau this afternoon :) Cheers for organizing Steve & Barb, can't wait to try some of these smoky creations

Quite gutted that I missed the tasting at Hallertau, hope it went well.... This seems like a complex style to make. Im up for it though. Im interested in the home smoking techniques. Is it just a case of using a fish smoker and some vienna/munich?

How far do you take the smoking?

Not 100% sure on the home smoking, might be worth picking up 100g of the Weyermann from Brewshop or something then you can compare the smoked character of the commercial to your own. I've read that home smoked malt generally needs about a week rest before it settles down a bit :) 

Steve mentioned that there may be somewhere locally in Auckland who's toying with the malt smoking thing, and he may be able to get a couple of sacks for us to use. 

The best thing to take away from the tasting: Bacon beer is GOOD!

Ive used the Weyerman that brewshop stocks. To be honest when it arrived I gave it a good sniff and a taste but couldn't perceive much smokiness at all.

Ive made a porter with about %10 of it and the smokiness is very very subtle... Its almost a roast rather than a smoke, not quite what I was after in the porter.

Beers wrapped in bacon? :)

Wrapped in bacon, with a bacon hock added during the boil, dry baconned, and served with a side of Rashuns.. MMMMmm 

Oh man, I come here to avoid the whole "ZOMG! BACON" nerdgasms I have to face constantly in the IT world!

NO BACON FOR YOU!

</BaconNazi>

Bacon ipsum dolor sit amet pork belly prosciutto beef, andouille salami spare ribs turkey strip steak filet mignon chicken t-bone kielbasa. Kielbasa short loin ball tip ground round salami corned beef. Fatback ham hock drumstick pancetta venison, tri-tip ground round jerky ball tip swine. Beef sausage brisket ribeye chicken pork belly boudin. Ham tail drumstick, ham hock turducken ribeye capicola.

Strangely, Phil used that engine when doing the filler text for www.brewaucracy.co.nz - it took me a while to notice it wasn't the usual lipsum!

sparge with bong water and add 50gram port royal late kettle addition..........smoky as :)

It's August already!

For those of you planning to compete in the WBC on 25th, you may still have some time to brew. Get going!

I have booked the lounge for our event at Hallertau from 3PM. I just need to confirm judges and an idea of number of entries.

Please let me know if you plan to enter a beer (or two).

Happy brewing

Put mine on gas last night! :) looking forward to this one

Time to brew? Won't leave much lagering time...

I left mine shamefully late, and will be making do with a mere 3.5 week lager, then a couple of days force carb in the keg. So you can all laugh at my shit entry! :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service