Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi,

I'm still new to brewing but am very keen.  Ive got my fourth batch about ready to bottle at the moment.  I would really appreciate any advice more experienced brewers could have on the following things:

1)  My first batch came out very clear.  I noticed that the second was not so clear.  Taste was ok but thinking the finers that I added to the first one really made the difference.  Is there a marked difference in the quality finers or are there any other techniques that people use that bring good results.

2)  I have been a bit slack with the hydrometer.  As far as I can tell it will give you an indication that the fermenting process has been completed and it is then ok to bottle or go to secondary.  Should I be using it.  Also, I have been trying to get info on how this will give you an indication of alcohol content.

3)  I have been changing and expanding one variable each batch I have made, but am still using kits at the moment.  I will move on to grains later on.  A friend suggested that I might get better results if I bought yeast separate from the stuff that comes with the malt extract.  As this stuff has been dried and left in unknown temperatures, whereas, other yeast may have stricter quality controls and I guess therefore activate better.

If there are any other little gems that you think would be useful I would greatly appreciate it.  Loving it so far and can't wait to get started on the next one.

Views: 643

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can make great kit extract beer with 4 simple things:

1- good quality kit - Ie Blackrock etc

2- use 1.5kg liquid malt extract instead of dextrose (or the so-called enhancer packs which are most lilkly 80% dextrose anyway

3 - chuck the kit yeast and use better stuff (fementis dried makes a huge difference)

4 -  Get some NZ hop dry pellets and add them to the malt for about 1min boil ( or steep or dry hop or all of the above)

I used to brew using the above simple steps and made some great beers. Definitley recommend going to grains, temp control etc also, but you can still make bloody good beer without all of that.

Cheer

Definitely just jump in the deep end. I did 2 kits which I wasn't too happy about, so had a crack at all grain....and I was hooked!!!

It's not as hard as it sounds and can be as easy as a huge pot, some voile and a gas burner...and you'll never go back. I have grain for AG #4 to be done this week ;)

Hi!

Most of the advise so far has been spot on! But hey...why not repeat it again.

The thing that made the biggest difference for me is temperature control.  I'm on a budget and dont have the space for a fridge. Thowing the fermenter in our supertub with a wet towel draped over and ice for the first few days does wonders. I just chuck some plastic 750ml bottles in the freezer and rotate them.

I only really do this for the first few days till the fermentation slows down. This probably wont cut the mustard for lagers, but i prefer ale so its not a big problem.

Once you have that  sussed out i highly suggest you move to extract and grain. Kits are... less than awesome in my opinion. Extract and grain does not require a lot more resources and effort but gives you an incredible amount flexibility and options. Your results will improve a whole bunch.

After that partial mash (using the brew in a bag system) is really not much of a step up in challenge.  If you have a big enough pot (and a beast of a stove/burner) you can do all grain brew in a bag.

Dont use the yeast that comes with it. Nuf said on that.

Make a lot notes. And get a hydrometer. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service