Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, I'm going to do it, but maybe not quite yet. And there was talk about an Imperial Coopers. I know Mr Cherry's keen too, yes ?

I thought it might be handy to string this together in one place.

Now I'm not going to brew until the weather cools a bit, I'm getting 20C + in the garage right now and I wouldn't want to do that to my Coopers kit would I ?

First questions first though, Draught or Lager ?
Next up, what to add to it.
Not sugar, no. maybe dextrose, maybe LME, or maybe just a kg of pale mashed ?

Views: 1486

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Also, from what I read, Coopers Pale Ale uses POR hops but only for bittering.
Tilt - I see you harvested coopers yeast from the bottle. How was the yeast character? Bananas & whiteboard markers? That what I got when I tried harvesting Coopers yeast.

When I tried it, the first beer (21C) smelt like pure whiteboard markers and the second (19C) smelt like someone had put a whiteboard marker in a pint Coopers Pale Ale blended with Lion Brown.
I'll start with a disclaimer - I'm pretty new to describing what I taste in beer so probably should verify my thoughts by getting someone else with a more educated palate to taste this and give a second opinion.

I harvested from a 6 pack of Sparkling Ale back in January. (I've got 2 washed gen. 2 jars in the fridge ready for another day)
I have to say the yeast character didn't end up how I'd expected/hoped it would - less fruit, dryer and, as you say, a little "white board markerish"

There were definite banana esters as the primary ticked away at between 19 and 22degC (variable temp control without a fridge under the house - perhaps the root of the problem?!)
Attenuation was 86%- leaving the FG at a dry 1006.

In the end I'd say the aroma and flavour profile is fruity/yeasty with hints of banana, some solvent (not too much for my taste) with the background malt coming through.

I figured next time I'll brew it in winter and try to keep the temp below 20 and constant.

Did you carry your cultured Coopers yeast trials any further Mr Cherry?
Any thoughts on how to make those yeasties produce the bread, pears and bananas the original CSA has?
Did you carry your cultured Coopers yeast trials any further Mr Cherry?
Nope. I gave up after two batches.

I have recently brewed a beer with yeast that I harvested from a couple of La Trappe Blondes and the results are very similar to the Coopers yeast that I harvested. It could well be that my harvesting technique is flawed, but I strongly suspect that they both use a different yeast for bottle conditioning than fermentation (champagne yeast?). I have read that The Coopers beers are bottle conditioned with the same yeast that they fermented with but I have my doubts...
Yes - my crack at this made me wonder too - but being a new AGer and this being my first attempt at harvesting, I'm more inclined to put it down to my technique.
I've also seen that thread on the AHB site from someone who asked Coopers straight up whether they use a different yeast to bottle condition... they claim no.

I think i'll try a repeat of the same recipe with better controlled fermentation temps this winter - and perhaps I should try with a different yeast (I see there's a Wyeast Australian Ale version) and split the batch to do a side by side comparison.
If there's no change and I'm no closer to what I'm looking for then I'll stop exploring that path and choose one of the thousands of other rewarding options on the "want to brew"list...No use flogging a dead horse when there are so many tasty brews to choose from!!! So many brews....so little time!
Cheers
AHB site

Look for the 'whiteboard recipe' thread - seems to be universally accepted as as close as you'll get
Any thoughts on how to make those yeasties produce the bread, pears and bananas the original CSA has?

I'd probably go with the whitelabs yeast ?
Ah yeah - I see what you mean about the AHB recipe - it's close to the one I used as a guide.
And now when I look at them again I realise my temps were too high.

Thanks for the tip on WhiteLabs too - where's a good place to source their yeast in NZ?
I thought I read earlier in the thread Jo at Liberty had the whitelabs ?
No worries - I'll give Joe a bell when it comes closer to "sub 20deg temp" time in my basement brewery. Cheers
Just a heads up though - the Australian Ale strain from White Labs is a "platinum strain" meaning that they are only available for a month or so during release. It's out at the moment - but I can't get any for the next couple of months.

If there is any available in June, I'll try to get some.
It's alright mate, I'm not in a hurry - in fact I'll probably never attempt any closer coopers clone than I've just attempted.

But thanks for the noticee ..

chapter over

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service