Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi all,

With spring only a couple of months away it's time to start thinking about hop gardening. With the paucity of hop varieties available commercially to home gardeners, I'm keen to do some rhizome-swapping. So far I have 3 varieties: Cali, a mystery hop from a wild source in Wellington (smells a bit like Goldings?), plus another mystery variety from a wild source in Kapiti.
Keen to get hold of which ever varieties are out there - Danscade, Smoothcone, Sticklebract, Kortegast, Mystery German, wild varieties, whatever.

So if anyone has any spare rhizomes, or would like some of mine, it would be great to get a discussion going!

Views: 2172

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sent you a PM. Cheers.

I am a rookie hop gardener keen to get my hands dirty with adding another point of relevance to the word "home" in home brew. Am wanting to get my hands on some rhizomes of whatever is out there. Will take whatever anyone is happy to supply me with. Cheers! Al

I've just planted out two small Danscade and German Mystery rhizomes into north facing beds - this is first time they're out of pots at our place.  The root system's about 4 inches long on the biggest and they've got small buds waiting to go. 

No spares this season unfortunately but will hopeful have some to contribute next year.

I'm a Wellingtonian (well Porirua-ite actually) and would be keen. I don't know a lot about hop gardening but have a big, relatively empty section, so have the space to grow! Joe, would be keen to get a couple of pointers and hopefully can repay the favour with a few brews.

Flick me a PM if you're interested in catching up. I haven't got too many brewing mates in Welly, so it's always good to meet new brewers and learn new tricks of the trade!

Hey Edmund since you are in the hood I am in T-bay and have a couple of varietys of hops if you want any extra cuttings. Cheers Chris

Hi Chris, absolutely, I emailed you about some gear a while back, so we can catch up about that too. I'm just down the road in Ranui. 

I do apologise to the people I have offered hop plants to I havent forgotten I promise just been so busy - so they keep sliding off the priority list.

Craig yes no worrys if you want to shoot out and grab some let me know ?

Hi Chris, no worries! I've been pretty busy myself, can't do this weekend, but maybe sometime next week after work? You're just down the road so I could drop by whenever suits.

I just found out that my workmate who has a lifestyle block in the Waiararapa cleared out wild hop vines that were growing rampant on her property! I told her to let me know if they come back so I can get cuttings. No idea on the variety, but I will let you know if I get my hands on some.

Anyone Auckland side willing too help a brother out? Id love to get my hands on a cutting this year. Have beer to trade ;)

Yeah mate I can spring ya some DANSCADE cuttings, will have to wait till they sprout and I can get them started.

I got a cutting last year and its a fairly chunky rhizome, so should be some action soon.

Awesome, thanks Hugh! Ill be in sometime over the next few weeks to top up so Ill chat to ya about it then. Thanks man!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service