Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hey guys just going over a recipe for my First IPA!! and if I am to do a 23L batch of Beer then my calculations are for a 6Gallon batch? and if so is it ok just to add the 5Gallon + 1Gallon ingredients together to work out a 6Gallon batch?

Second question...If dry hopping is optional and says "you can add a handful" what measurement is that? and always with about 4-5 days left in fermentation left you do it?

Third question.....How do you work out the IBU (bitterness?) level if not stated in recipe?

Last question......How many packets of dry yeast US.05 would you use? basing it on adding the 5G + 1G together, it would be 1 and a half??

Cheers Guys appreciate it. 

Views: 1486

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It wont.  The yeast has done all its primary work and eaten the fermentable sugars.

Sweet. Big Bottle day tomorrow first time, big deal  to me, I have now have my fermenter on bench with temp coming up to 18C for bottling with recommended dextrose measure without having to compensate for cold temp bottling. Everything being recorded, every move I make so I can refer to so I can improve in certain areas if need be, will post a new thread tomorrow afternoon on my complete experience from thought to bottle. I have a easy-syphon to use for bottling hope I can work it out how it goes, maybe try just water first on the sink till I get the hang of it, come to far to lose my batch on the floor!!  My thought process for tomorrow is this:

Clean bottles using hotwater and dishwashing liquid, rinse well and sanitise. store upright in cardboard box while bottling. Put the right amount of dextrose in each bottle then carefully start filling, I won't be able to use a bottling wand with that special tip that opens when it comes in conatct with the bottom of bottle instead use the racking cane. I don't have a way to stop the flow after each bottle is filled to cap it, what should I do there? I was going to just raise the tube up high enough to stop flow, then re-start with syphon again?? If my trub is higher than my fermenter tap I can't even look at using that bottle wand that attaches to that? I have about 40 or more 500ml bottles to fill and cap. any last advice or tips please????

Cheers everyone.

Daza.

Dam temp not coming up still on 14.4C same as it has been for 2 hours so I now moved the heat pad to the side of fermenter rather than the bottom in case the heat isn't getting through the trub?? and the other thing is the ambient temp is 14C too. I mean it was at 2.9C which is pretty darn cold, so glad it's at least climbed some of the way up. If it still hasn't increased in the morning in temp then maybe I need to look at trying a smaller amount of sugar(dextrose) in the bottles? how much I don't know, don't want to bring inside as this is an outdoor project (meaning garage only) I am surprised it hasn't kept rising in temp, that has me puzzled for sure??

put heat pad back under fermenter, geez. wish I knew why it wasn't raising in temp, probably cause it has an cold block of trub inside maybe?

Can you work out the abv on a beer that is finished and bottled if you screwed up the hydrometer readings? I would love to know how much abv % my first brew was is there anyway, besides drinking it all and see how fast you get anebriated ? Cheers

There are a couple of different ways to work it out, firstly you can remove the carbonation, take a hydrometer reading and assume 80% attenuation, which isn't very accurate but will still give you an idea.

Secondly you can run a set amount of beer through a condenser, top up the collected liquid with distilled water to that set amount and measure the alcohol with an alcohol hydrometer. More accurate but requires buying all that equipment so not really practical.

Long story short be careful with your measurements :)

good sound advice mate. Yeah I hopefully got it right this time, as i hit my target gravity right on the money!

1.052 exactly what it is suppose to be. bit of luck maybe? cheers.

Im a couple if years in and still miss my targets due to upgradeing equipment and dialing in my processes. Just last week i got a grain mill and my brewhouse efficiency jumped from 78-80 to 85 and all i changed was the crush.
Is it worth transferring from primary fermenter to secondary? I have a spare plastic 30 litre fermenter no glass carboy? And if yes then after first week of fermentation ? I only ferment for 4 weeks but thought it may help with clarity and trub? Cheers
I dont transfer mine. I usually leave them in primary for 2 weeks, cold crash and then transfer to keg.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service