Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

As a few of us have discussed this is an outstanding beer that definitely needs cloning...

Joe if you're out there somewhere still feel free to nudge us in the right direction, although we wouldn't begrudge you for wanting to keep such a top recipe under your hat...

Have at it!

Views: 3695

Replies to This Discussion

What's your calculated FG mmm? My first crack at this ended up at 1.018 and it was way too malty / sweet - mainly due to too much specialty rather than an elevated OG. I diluted my OG down for this batch (unfortunately too far) to get closer to my target FG - might be worth while doing the same if it looks like you're going to end up too high. 

oh right, Ill  check tonight when I get home. Its all fermented out now (well I assume so!) so Ive started the dry hop. I didnt actually take a reading tho. Smells amazing already

Sorry, just checked the FG now, it was 1.012 so not bad.

I kegged it last night, so force carbing at the moment

Nice work, what yeast did you use? I would have liked to knock those last two points off mine to make it a touch dryer, looks like you nailed it!

Got some really good reviews and feedback from the case swap so far - will post them up in a week or so once I've got some more in - also threw a bottle in NHC.

Already half way through my keg so starting to think towards V3.0...

I couldn't get a hold of the California yeast so just used good old US-05 (2 packets)!

We could swap bottles if you want, bearing in mind I'm not a master brewer..? (Mind you I haven't tried mine yet...so I assuming its going to be ok!)

I'm in Wellington...you?

Nice, I think I'll try US05 next time - looks like its a touch more attenuative than WLP001.

Sounds like a plan I'm in Christchurch but will probably be up in Wellington in the next couple of weeks for work, I'll PM you when I know.

I'm no master brewer either - been all-graining for just over a year.

People always say that and then produce decent drinking beer I reckon :)

See!

I told you so -- great score at the comp :)

Haha, cheers!

Sounds good! Ill try not to drink it all in the next few weeks

https://twitter.com/LibertyBrewer/status/661351134389407744

Might be a good time to hit Joe up for the recipe... 

Entered this in the NHC and came away with a Bronze so not too shabby (judging sheet attached)

Got some good feedback from the club case swap as well, everyone enjoyed it and felt it was pretty close, got some good tips for improvement as well - summary below.

I got off lucky with the slight over dilution - will add some dex for version 2.0 to dry it out properly and probably use 3x packets of US05. Some of the feedback was that the mouth feel was a little thick and sweet - hitting 1.012 and dropping the wheat and halving the toffee (may switch to light crystal) should sort that.

As per judging I think the aroma could have been more intense and one other case swap member picked up the Zythos dominance. I think I'll add some extra Citra at flame out and DH - maybe even 5min. Will possibly drop the Zythos back to around 200g total as well.

Will post V2.0 when I get to brewing it - probably quite soon as the keg is sadly almost empty.

Attachments:

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service