Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/biab-recirculating-rig-first-brew-2...

I've been doing alot of research in the downtime not brewing. (It's been 3 months sicne an actual brew day). I've ahd an ongoing Shoulder issue for awhile, and am post op surgery for about 6 weeks.

So I've been working on alot of different project for my "Brewery". I have a small garage, which I have installed power into, properly, running underground cables etc. I will be going live on the weekend, with switches, lights and plug sockets in the garage.

I have 2 fridges already for fermentation and conditioning, both with STC-1000's fitted.

So, I've finally made a decision, which I think is a pretty good one. As it will give me room to expand/add vessels, should I need or want to.

The link is something similar, and wondered if anyone has had any experience building such a system?
If so, parts list and sourcing would be helpful, in this country anyways.

Will be sourcing a new Pot as well. I'd love a Blichmann, but it's just too expensive at this stage I think, unless someones got them in good condition. a 15 gallon one would be good, for those big beers.

I'll be doing 23 Litre batches, and wanted to know what sized element would give a good rolling boil? not too vigorous, but solid. I'll need a re-circulation pump, and disconnects. 

the other big issue is lifting the bag out etc.  I have purchased a pulley system, but need to install it, and I'd like to run it on a slider type system. to lift the grain slide out and dump in a bucket or the bin etc. any suggestions for this?

I was thinking a square steel bar, about 2m long, steel on steel with no runners... to slide, attached to the struts of the garage. 

And lastly the bag, I have something that works currently, although it's not fantastic, because theres no real way to lift it out. Suggestions required for where I can get a good bag with handles for pulley lifting, if anyone has a design, that'd be good too.  I was actually think of putting a Zip in one for grain removal as well.Steel of course.

any help is appreciated. thanks guys.

Views: 3657

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh ok, I'm sure ther'd be someone who'd make a stainless version. JSM are perforated sheet steel guys, we do work with them sometimes, so i might be able to swing a deal...

You can get turkey fryers from the states. They have a nice basket that holds the bags. Something like this but bigger would be awesome. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Backyard-Classic-Professional-36-qt-Turkey-...

Guy, thanks for the link. I've asked for pricing to see what the damage would be. so we will see.It looks like the best way to go. the rafters seem to hold up pretty well, which is a good start. for the time being, when i get my new pot etc. will be my kayak hoist it should hold up ok, and is a pulley system of sorts. Not ideal, but its a start.

Dene, those Turkey Fryer things are awesome. the americans rave about them on homebrewtalk.com

I won't get to brew for another month or so really, so it gives me time to sort some systems.

Any other ideas/thoughts on this type of BIAB system?

Interesting BIAB rig. Shame the burners not that great.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/food-beverage/other-beverages/...

Yeah, I've seen that one, interesting idea. not really what I'm looking for though. and plusthe burner looks like an issue.

I'd have to spend money removing the burner for a better one and it'll get expensive.

thanks though.

Interesting concept though... a bit more thought and it could make a good commercial solution for someone to make some money. A better burner, add in a mounted counterflow heat exchanger and it would be the perfect solution. Portable, contained in one unit, and  easy to use.

Yeah it would, the issue if you put biggerburners and counterflow chillers in etc. the price tends to skyrocket a bit, I'm guessing hes trying to make a cost effective solution, and fair enough it seems pretty solid, but for guys like us, we want the quality.

I wonder if he makes these himself? and would custom build for me?

I tried that I built two rigs, chucked one on trade me for $1 reserve and got $800 for it, not a lot of interest, lost money on it so I unless you can get something made up dirt cheap in China it'll just end up hurting your wallet

Hi Hamish, Like the look of your setup, I'm in the process of accumlating the necessary bits. Any chance of getting some more info on the smarts side of your setup, where did you source the thermowell, is your gas a manual control or do you have gas solenoids/pilotlights etc. Appreciate any advice you can provide

Hello Peter,

Gas has pilot light and main burner is controlled by solenoid, I went for the set and forget option, got my bits off eBay didn't worry about going for the STC1000 controller as I only wanted heating so purchased the $13 one, thermowell, pump, 23 tip burner, heat exchanger and fittings all off eBay got the pot here for about $220 delivered from trademe.

then just fitted everything thing into stainless terminal box as the wife wanted it to look nice, it really needs a high pressure gas reg as the low pressure ones really cause the burner to soot up the pot, and as I spent two hours yesterday scrubbing it is going to be next on my to do list before next brew day, where abouts are you located?

Had two hours scrubbing soot off the pot on Saturday too. Im at Waihi Beach, BOP. So far I have the frame, pot, burner, imersion chiller, getting an upgraded regulator, just need to sort solenoid, pilot etc, want to get to the set and forget place myself. any chance of a closeup shot of the gas side of your rig.

Probably a little far to drive to pop around and have a beer and a look then,

that's the gas side of things, flick us your email I have a pdf of a brewery plain that explains a 3v gas setup but can be scaled down to a single burner, which is what I based mine off

Attachments:

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service